I can't play SACDs. Is it worth opening the player?

Options
ynjeu1wzsm5q.jpg
fq1oydtqzcgj.jpg

My Marantz DV9500 is not playing SACDs, but it plays regular CDs great. (I've never played DVDs in it.) I am not a technical person, and opening up a piece of AV equipment gives me anxiety that I will mess it up.

However, has anyone had this problem, and there's a chance it could be a simple DIY fix? Perhaps something just needs to be cleaned? As you can see, it's old. If it is going to cost me $50-$100 to take to a local shop to diagnose (and potentially tell me it's shot and cannot be repaired), I'd rather save my money, so I thought I'd start here.

Other than the SACD playback issue, it is in fantastic condition.

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    Options
    Maybe something here could help, sometimes a hard reset will fix a problem. Follow the dv9600 procedure

https://masterelectronicsrepair.blogspot.com/2019/03/marantz-reset-procedures-marantz-av.html?m=1
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Do you have both Hybrid 2-layer SACDs and SACD only discs

Curious
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    Has it ever? Are you using RCA analog out?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options
    Other than dirty optics (which might be user-cleanable, with extreme care & caution) I doubt there's much that even a skilled DIYer could mitigate in a player like that one.

@audioluvr and @pitdogg2 may be on to something. It would be worth checking the unit's setup. I know that SACD output options are (or at least originally were) limited, IIRC, to analog only. It was part of a major Sony raison d'être for SACD, which was copy protection. There's also the two- vs. multichannel output "question" (?) Either a hard reset and/or careful perusal of the current setup options might be helpful/useful.

I am grasping at straws, though. There are a couple of "SACD" capable players here, but they're of the cheap, relatively modern DVD "multi-format" kind and not earlier, more serious (expensive) players with more deliberate handling of SACD content.

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    along with all the good suggestions I'll toss in
    unplugging the unit for a minute.

Next, power it up with the stop button pressed in.

This probably won't work but it might...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • smartie_panta
    Options
    THANK YOU, @pitdogg2 , @audioluvr and @mhardy6647 ! These are helpful things to consider and look into, and I will try some things and report back.

As for your question, @txcoastal1 , it's a good one, as all the discs I have I believe are hybrid, but I'll have to double check. (But I think the Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" disc I have is purely SACD.)
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Had that issue with an older Denon universal player. In that unit, there was a different laser for certain media. If it failed, some discs would play, others would not. Given the age of your player, could be the same situation.
  • smartie_panta
    Options
    @DaveHo was the laser issue fixable?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    edited June 2022
    Options
    The inability to read SACD or the hybrid SACD layer was common with all manufacturers in that period. Even Sony drives had problems with the laser mechanisms tracking the discs properly.

Personally I'd give up on the Marantz as an SACD player and not put money into replacing the laser mechanism. Doing that it not super hard, but it's also not easy and the drive would have to be sourced from somewhere. The laser mechanism can be found for around $50 plus shipping but de-installing of the old one and re-installing of the "new" one may or may not solve the problem.

May be cheaper, and less frustrating, to just find a decent quality SACD player that is known to work properly. One word of caution though. A cheap SACD player is not going to get the best sound quality out of an SACD. In some cases they sound worse than just using a high quality CD player.

The 9500 looks good!
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    I did buy a replacement laser, but it still didn't work after installing. Could have been installer error. I seem to remember it was a somewhat tricky process.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Fricking laser beams.

B)

avgmt3mskq6z.png
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    I think one of the issues is the drives said to be available as replacements are fairly standardized for several different models but require the right firmware to work with the player.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I think one of the issues is the drives said to be available as replacements are fairly standardized for several different models but require the right firmware to work with the player.

On new lasers there is also a solder bridge that must be removed.
  • smartie_panta
    smartie_panta Posts: 182
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Trial and error and working through all your tips resulted in the same result.

The only interesting/new observation was that when trying to read one of the discs the SACD indicator came up on the screen, so clearly it recognized it as one, but then the dreaded "No Play."

As @Emlyn suggests, I'm probably better off continuing to use it only as a CD player. That still works well and sounds great, so it looks like that's what I'll be doing!

Sincere thanks for all the advice.