Saving Speaker Lab Super Sevens

Options
JayMX
JayMX Posts: 435
edited July 2022 in Vintage Speakers
Haven’t put up a resto thread here for a while. This project has kept me busy for a few months. Thought I’d do a little brag post cuz these worked out pretty well, IMO. 😎

A neighbor and fellow audio junkie dropped the rattiest pair of speakers off at my place a while back. I’d never seen a pair of Super 7’s before. Research lead me to believe that he was probably right wanting them restored. Brand new walnut clad pairs are $6K 🤯. These must have been built by a high schooler - in 1977 or so. I’m betting they were used for a band PA or something. Ridden very hard and put away wet MANY times. Covered first in self-adhesive floor tiles and then automotive carpeting with sooo much glue and silicone, they’d been a little moist, mdf was swolen in several spots. Drivers were ratty, missing one 10” woofer. So many chips and dings. But overall the cabinets were still sound. I powered them up and I’ll be darned if they weren’t fully functional!

I watched eBay for OEM 10’s for months. Finally a pair popped up and I pulled the trigger. Neighbor wanted them fully redone, and after a ton of bondo, sanding, walnut veneer, new caps and resistors in the xovers, new magnetically retained custom grille frames, and blue cloth from Huntley Audio, they’re looking (and sounding) fantastic.

I’m amazed at how good they sound for 45 year old kit speakers. Anybody here had experience with these old beasts? ~80lbs per cabinet ~90dB efficient. Fantastic!

ayfblaedpr8y.jpeg

Had to use the jack from my Tacoma to break the 12” woofers loose from the black silicone.

8x5djufnbbyn.jpeg
xnqknwfabbhq.jpeg
ajpx4zu0rz40.jpeg
zde2dbls7k71.jpeg

Had to scrape a lot of crap off the cabinets. Plenty of Bondo and sanding too.

k0pefj3gk1il.jpeg
ipqbao6rnkvk.jpeg
84j0eikjp31w.jpeg
g7zhj4dazhwk.jpeg

White oak backer blocks and hurricane nuts for the drivers. Walnut veneer covered a myriad of sins.

4uu6ks9u2sm0.jpeg
lws1hurd6bct.jpeg
6xtc4caubbi2.jpeg
5hbyngnlzcb0.jpeg
tc05amnv2p52.jpeg
q4zgnd08293l.jpeg
mv50x5sqcg7c.jpeg
pdfspt3ey2bh.jpeg

Refreshed the crossovers.
z2phfsw766t9.jpeg
dz9x7urw4l7o.jpeg

Finally new grilles topped them off.
2zxpxnnq9lvu.jpeg
ljm5ly92ela5.jpeg
ktaju8lkcdl0.jpeg
7kvoux49x4b8.jpeg

Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Impressive!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    Assy to Classy I'd say. The owner is tickled I'm sure. NICE work.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    Options
    Fantabulous looking veneer job! I wonder if a brace front to back would be another mod to consider?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    Options
    Looks awesome! There's alot of manual labor in those pictures
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Great job!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Dayum! Hopefully all that effort was worthwhile.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    WOW! great job. Huge Speakerlab fan here. I first heard the super 7's at the speakerlab store in Tukwila WA in the early 80's. They would audition the speakers playing Kim Karne's Betty Davis Eyes. Wow the sound would blow you away.

I have a pair of Speakerlab DAS 9's in the garage system and they really rock the place.

I will did through my steakerab literature from the old days.

Great job on the restore. so nice!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    Options
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,924
    Options
    Looks fantastic!! Great job..
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Out of the current world ~ Impressed!!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA