What's up with Craig's List lately

Options
mrloren
mrloren Posts: 2,454
Man what is up with Craig's List lately.

Story:

My wife has been watching her dramas (the Crown) so I either join her or go up stairs and watch a movie. In the bedroom HT I have an older down firing HSU STF. Sounds great, well too great. Wife has been complaining my movies are too loud and she can't hear... Friday night I went down to hear what she was complaining about. Oh my the bass is better in the family room than the bedroom.

So I go to CL try to find a front firing sub.

I offer this guy $250 https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/ele/d/san-diego-polk-audio-hts-12-subwoofers/7480524613.html HTS go nice with my S20. Reply was price is firm. Seriously two months and he is still firm on price. didn't even come back with a counter.

So next I see this one https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/ele/d/san-diego-svs-sb2000-subwoofer/7490474594.html I offered $450. Reply was "No Thanks" again not even a counter.

I understand it IS their stuff, but hey used market haggle a bit.

So now I may see if SVS has a 4th of July sale, SVS outlet has both a SB1000 or PB1000 @ $475 and I get the SVS warranty

One question I have, would going to a front firing sub take some of the bass out of the family room?
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Possibly. Regardless, front firing is the only way to go, IMO.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    Keep in mind not everyone is in a hurry to sell or are motivated.
    And CL low balls are so regular, he most likely already had that
    offer and turned it down. Or accepted one and had the buyer
    show up with half of that offer. It is what it is. Don't even go
    try to buy a used car on CL right now. That's even worse.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Prices are up, up, up!
    No one is obligated to haggle.
    CL's been a wasteland for several years in the northeast AFAIK.

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    He may be like me and refuses to negotiate without an in person evaluation.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mrloren
    Options
    Yeah I know there is no obligation to negotiate. Few months ago I was trying to buy some router bits, guy wanted close to retail. All the bit were extremely used needing sharpening.

Lucky for me, tomorrow @ 6am I'll be on SVS. 4th of July sale starts.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    At least you have decent gear on your local CL. Around here it's the same flippers selling crap, trying to get double the value, bumping their listing for months on end. Meanwhile, I occasionally list good gear for reasonable prices. All I get are extreme low ball offers. It is what it is...
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 366
    Options
    Facebook marketplace seems to have crushed Craigslist in my area. I still have luck selling some things on there, but not nearly as fast as before, and definitely harder to find things I’m looking for on there. It’s sad, used to be great. I refuse to get on Facebook so I guess I’ll just roll with it.
  • mrloren
    Options
    Ordered the SVS outlet special SB2000 for $449