How can I tell the generation of my 2.3 TL speakers and if they they have have been upgraded?

cobcw
cobcw Posts: 7
edited June 2022 in Vintage Speakers
I recently picked up a set of 2.3TLs from a local estate sale. I am new to vintage audio equipment and did not really know what I was buying at the time, but I knew that I wanted them. I was wondering how can I determine which generation the speakers are and if they have had any modifications done to them. Any assistance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.
whn2f4s0ri3v.jpg
9bautcxwpnqn.jpg
zmoiko9jau04.jpg
jo47m5boh4w5.jpg

Answers

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    It looks like you might have updated/upgraded tweeters. The domes on my original 2.3TL tweeters were chrome but the modern replacements I bought from Polk about 4-5 years ago resemble yours.

Also, the wood at the top and bottom is different than mine. It appears to be thicker than anything I have ever seen.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited June 2022
    Ditto on the top and bottom caps. Those look like SL3000s to me though because of the foam ring around the dome. Those are 5th generation according to the SDA Handbook.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    You don't have upgraded tweeters, they definitely look like SL3000's.

Yeah the wood caps are definitely not stock, almost like a clubfoot set of SDA's.. :D

Other then that they look clean..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited June 2022
    THIS ^^^

They are SL3000 they came in three colors, Blackish chrome, silver and goldish. Since they had 3 layers of metal vapor deposited on them they could be all three colors. The foam ring is a dead give away.
  • cobcw
    I have looked at the caps, and it does appear they have been modified at some point.n9bjyalm551j.jpg
    6s7rtw71ezlq.jpg
    i859f3qq2r6x.jpg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Shame about those end caps.

Do not toe in SDA speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    To see if any crossover work has been done it'll be necessary to unscrew the screws on one of the passive radiators, remove it, and snap a photo or two. Post those here for advice.

My guess is they're stock given the connectors between the binding posts are the originals and the binding posts are original too. Hopefully the speakers came with the pin/blade SDA interconnect cable. They won't work right without that connection being made.
  • cobcw
    Emlyn wrote: »
    To see if any crossover work has been done it'll be necessary to unscrew the screws on one of the passive radiators, remove it, and snap a photo or two. Post those here for advice.

My guess is they're stock given the connectors between the binding posts are the originals and the binding posts are original too. Hopefully the speakers came with the pin/blade SDA interconnect cable. They won't work right without that connection being made.

I have the interconnect cable, I am a little unsure of its purpose as this is the first time I have seen this on a pair of speakers.47cpbg4fuf76.jpg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The cable enables the SDA. You cannot use mono blocks, dual mono or otherwise non-common ground amplification with the cable installed. Without the cable you're missing the entire point of the speakers.

Proper set up as follows. No toe in, 6 to 8 feet apart, 5 to 6 inches off the back wall and at least 3 feet from the side walls.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
  • cobcw
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    In with 21

Excuse my ignorance, but I did not understand your comment.
  • pitdogg2
    Inside joke, once in a while someone will give away something ( Karma it off). So the member will say pick a number between 1-100. We answer in his case 21.
  • cobcw
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Inside joke, once in a while someone will give away something ( Karma it off). So the member will say pick a number between 1-100. We answer in his case 21.

Thanks for clarifying.
  • cobcw
    F1nut wrote: »
    The cable enables the SDA. You cannot use mono blocks, dual mono or otherwise non-common ground amplification with the cable installed. Without the cable you're missing the entire point of the speakers.

Proper set up as follows. No toe in, 6 to 8 feet apart, 5 to 6 inches off the back wall and at least 3 feet from the side walls.

Thanks F1, I appreciate you insight.

On this, I basically stumbled across these speakers and picked them up not really knowing what they were other than they look impressive. I was hoping to incorporate them as the left and right front channels for my home cinema setup, but based on the information you provide about placement I don't think I will have the available space.

The more I read into this forum the more I think I don't have the hardware to run the 2.3TL's effectively as my current AV receiver only put out a messily 75w per channel.

Has anyone used the 2.3TL's as front channels for a home cinema setup and if so what do you use to drive them?

Sorry for my lack of understanding but I am pretty new to all this.
  • pitdogg2
    75wpc avr is not even going wake them up. I use a 400wpc amp on mine. I use them in 2 channel stereo only
  • cobcw
    After a fair amount of research and reading forum posts, I have decided the 2.3TL's don't work for my space nor do I have the hardware to run them so I plan to sell them on to someone that can use and appreciate them. I am looking more for LCR's for a home theater setup.

I am aware that I can not post them here on the forum for sale or trade, but I was just wondering thoughts on their value based on them not being fully original due to the modified caps?

I plan to put them up for sale in the next few days on Cunuck Audio Mart as I am based in BC Canada.

I am also interested on people's thought on what would be a good LCR setup for a home theater?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.