Home theater towers vs. vintage boxes for stereo imaging

Options
Are the narrow-bodied home-theater speakers inherently poor at providing a great stereo image? At least when compared to vintage speakers designed strictly for stereo listening?

I also wondered how the RTA Polks compared to the wide Polks.

Just musing and trying to compare experiences while I work on my 1c.

I'm thinking about trying my Rti-10 with the new-to-me Yamaha amp I got a few months ago. They've been in the stack of 'part out and ebay' things since I fixed my Monitor 12. Curious if the 175wpc of the new amp will matter for imaging. They were great for theater thump, but failed on stereo joy with my HTR-5990, 5960, and AX-596.

The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Cabinet has nothing to do with it. Many upper dollar manufactures have thin profile cabinets that are not geared toward HT. Many HT geared speakers are not very good at stereo because they are boosted in the upper frequencies. That is why they can be very fatiguing to listen to for long sessions in 2 channel stereo. Just to be clear regardless whether thin or wide bodied they will more than likely have the same internal cabinet size for the respected divers to operate correctly.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    Speaker designers know what the issues are with cabinet diffraction and imaging and have ways of working around the issues or not depending on what price points they need to hit. I agree, cabinet structure width is only one consideration for how well a speaker produces a stereo image.

It doesn't take much wattage from an amp to produce sound from a speaker that images well. Some of the best imaging speakers are simple two driver bookshelf speakers.

SDA speakers are a whole other story when it comes to cabinet structure.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    I wouldn't say cabinets have no bearing on imaging... I would day the baffle has a huge, huge determining factor.

Diffraction, time alignment, waveguide, etc etc... All makes a big difference

A wide baffle with hard corners is maybe an audio no no. Sda has a chest sheet with the sda tech, disable that sda array and they ar enot exactly throwing out the best soundstage 😁

Crossover components also have a huge effect on soundstage presentation and usually cheaper speakers have junk parts
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    VR3 Posts: 25,589
    3:32PM
    I wouldn't say cabinets have no bearing on imaging...
    Very true, I didn't do the best in my description.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    [thinks]

Thank you all for your responses.

I'll be cleaning up the listening area again over the next 2 months. I might rotate the Rti10 in, just to see how they sound with the bigger amp (and compared to the older Polks).

I *really* hate the thought of parting them out and trashing the cabinets =( But if they don't have a place in my stereo world, I gotta make some room.
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Convert them to dedicated subs?

I would be interested to see inside cabinets pics/construction.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    [thinks]

I'll be cleaning up the listening area again over the next 2 months. I might rotate the Rti10 in, just to see how they sound with the bigger amp (and compared to the older Polks).

I *really* hate the thought of parting them out and trashing the cabinets =( But if they don't have a place in my stereo world, I gotta make some room.

I don’t him
    [thinks]

l don’t think you’ll ever be happy with their sound of you prefer older polks and SDAs. The older speakers are so much warmer and a more coherent. Those RTIs were very bright sounding iirc…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Yeah very different design goals
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Convert them to dedicated subs?

I would be interested to see inside cabinets pics/construction.

Well, it's easy enough to get the dimensions, right?

And there's a sweet anti-chuffin' port thingie to transplant.

And either running a dedicated amp to them, using the original crossover *or* getting a good pair of plate amps...

Not an elegant, from the ground up solution, but extra oomph for whatever they sit under ;)

Sounds like a silly project, right?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Sounds like a silly project, right?

I dare say you already have the answer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• plastic_avatar
    Options
    But will it work?

That's the fun unknown in this equation =)

If I sell the mids and tweeters, I can fund the cabinet rebuild... and maybe size them so they fit in with the 5B, or even as stands for the 1C... That would be ridiculous =)
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    Nothing DIY is ridiculous if you learn in the process and have fun doing it. Well ..........OK..........maybe building a subwoofer with only a Passive Radiator might be..........ridiculous :p
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Ha!

But if I connected a dryer hose from the port on my bookshelf speakers to a port in the subwoofer box...