Are they Timbre?

Options
I can't believe how bad the information online is. I was planning on using RC85i behind my projection screen for the L&R. I can't get accurate info on the 255c-rt. Are the 85's timbre with the 255s? I read both yes and no online. Amazon bundles the 255c-rt with the RC65i. Why would they do that if not timbre?

I'll take recommendations but I am on a budget so I can't get to crazy.

Thanks

Answers

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Yes
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    edited June 2022
    Options
    The 265RT is the best match for the 255c-rt center channel speaker.

The 255c-rt should sound fine, as in close enough, with any "RT" or "RC" type of Polk speaker though. The RC85i are from a different series and use different drivers.

Personally it would bother me mixing speakers from different lines knowing a solution is available within the same production line at a similar cost. Since they'd be hidden behind a screen it may not matter as much.
  • shs
    shs Posts: 105
    Options
    Ideally you would use the same speaker as your left and right for the center channel speaker. Not always easy to do, except when you are putting speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen, it is a no brainier.
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    That's a good point. Either three 265RT or three RC85i make sense since they'd all be in wall and not visible. They can also be mounted at the same height for seamless sound transitions from the screen.

It's strange that Amazon is packaging two series of speakers together. I thought it might be a vendor operating on Amazon, but Amazon itself is the seller.
  • eqarigon
    eqarigon Posts: 3
    Options
    I'll check out some of the RT lines. Are the 85's sold as eaches anywhere brand new? I can only find pairs.
  • eqarigon
    eqarigon Posts: 3
    Options
    Also, why are they trying to bundle the 255 with the RC's if they don't truly match? I don't understand 😅
  • Emlyn
    Options
    The RC85i are sold in pairs, most likely because they're packed in one box. The 265RT are sold individually.
  • shs
    shs Posts: 105
    Options
    I think that speakers are sold in pairs for stereo, but also because it encourages home theater people to buy a more expensive "center channel speaker" thinking that the horizontal center channel speakers are optimized for that use, when a identical speaker to the left and right would actually be better. Fortunately the LSiM 703s are sold individually so I was able to get one for my center. My last go around I had to wait for the speaker manufacturer to drop one of a matched pair before they would sell me 3.
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.