Just joined

Options
2»

Comments

• Bzzzzzzt_pop
    Options
    Thanks for the interest from everyone.
    The SL-1000 tweeters just lack some detail in sound. The Monitor 10's next to the RTA 12's really seem to outperform them. Although, there seems to be a wider sound stage with the RTA 12's. I really think they should/can sound better.
    I have some old Marantz speakers I picked up from goodwill that I am practicing on, I'm not the best at soldering. I might try to re-cap them if I get brave. Also, I picked up a pair of Monitor 5's off Market place for a decent price. The cabinets have some damage to them. I looked them over quick and failed to notice somebody's attempt at adding their own hand made "aperture tuning holes" in one. My bad, it was a real let down too. I tried the handmade tweeter in the RTA 12's. There wasn't any noticeable difference. The other tweeter appears to be an actual peerless with the hole. I'll try that one next. (I've been a bit busy.)
    I'll post some new pics later today.
    I removed the cobra cables and will probably hook them up at another time.
  • Bzzzzzzt_pop
    Options
    Looking over my last post I should probably clarify some things.
    I have some old Marantz speakers I picked up from goodwill that I am practicing on, I'm not the best at soldering. I might try to re-cap them if I get brave.
    I have already recapped the Marantz SP-208's (2X's) I would like to try to recap the RTA12's.

The Monitor 5's

phrzd8rksmsy.jpg

A closer look at the tweeter in question--

2msrn7k9vcfa.jpg

The other tweeter

dqzise548jnw.jpg

The back

kcwjwyqun9si.jpg

I did hook the 5's up to the Onkyo and gave them a listen before removing the tweeter, they sounded fine. Very good actually, I have even considered saving them lol.
    I only installed the funkified tweeter in the RTA's. I didn't notice any difference while doing the side by side comparison. I'm going to keep digging, check the other tweet and pull the drivers on the RTA's to see what's in them.

I am the RTA's look like they have a wood veneer. Does anyone else have an example of a wood veneer on an RTA 12?

Thanks for the interest.

And thanks for the compliments on the username. I'm not an electrician :) Just a cautious geek.

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,203
    Options
    I have never seen a number like that or like anything engraved on the plastic terminal cup before. Supposedly those holes were burned with a soldering iron tip but I'm not certain if we have Polk employee confirmation on that. I have thought that another way would be to remove the magnet assembly and punch the hole in the dome. Something went wrong........
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,631
    Options
    Looks like a drivers lic number in case of theft. Many did that back in the day.
    All the RTA 12's I've seen in person had real wood veneer. Many on the older models had wood veneer.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    Those are coordinates.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,203
    Options
    It is possible that there is a terrorist cell here in the Polk Forums that just got its encoded instructions by those particular numbers in that particular sequence :#
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,623
    Options
    It's also possible that @audioluvr is just day drinking again.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,094
    edited May 2022
    Options
    even better, many folks used their SSNs in lieu of their DL numbers in those far-more-naive times. :#