What are you listening for?

2»

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    I don't listen at aurally traumatizing levels as I just don't enjoy it........

One of the things that I always think is interesting is the concept of accuracy. Now, I've listened to a lot of live music and precious few recordings represent, IMO, live sound.

Most music is recorded and mixed in pieces....and sounds are easily manipulated in the recording process. Live recordings are often a hodgepodge of multiple microphones and tracks that often yield a record that doesn't sound like live in the least......

Now, just because that's all true doesn't make it bad. Truth be told, a lot of live music sounds bad. Rock concerts generally sound terrible. Symphonies tend to sound harsh........a recent example is we just went to see Diana Krall, which was an amazing, bucket list experience. The sound of her records is....I guess more precise would be the best way to describe it....center image....note decay etc etc. But, I'd RATHER listen to her live all things being equal because the experience can't really be captured on a record.

Anyway, just some morning rambling...
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    and it's 1 2 3 what are we listening for
    don't ask me I don't give a ham
    next stop is Kiev man
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I guess recordings are viewed as "the next best thing to being there". Which, a live performance is usually the best, depending on the venue.

As far as what I listen for....accuracy isn't the number one thing, just toe tapping enjoyment. I like a good soundstage with instruments well placed in it, airy extended highs and tuneful mids and lower regions.

Does that mean some colorations might be present? Absolutely, but we all don't have perfect listening environments that warrant the most accurate reproductions. You make small trade-offs to achieve a final happy medium of musical enjoyment....or move to Red Rock and camp out hoping nobody will notice.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    xschop wrote: »

"Many don't realize that listening at a low to moderate volume is really where the test of a system shines, or doesn't. Not when you chase yourself out of a room! Some music made, to put it simply, has way too much going on and gets itself in the way..."

While I don’t listen at “head-banger” levels, there is a volume (usually a bit on the higher side) at which the music “comes alive” in the room - sorry, I don’t have a better description. It’s kinda like boating - there’s that speed at which you get up on plane, and once you’re there, you don’t want to go back.

I’m also a sucker for dynamic range. Alison Krauss is fantastic for this - soft and subtle and soothing, then she just opens up and WOW… Blows me away every time.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn