Advanced Analog MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Tonearm Counterweight

SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
edited April 2022 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
So, lets say you have a need for heavier tone arm counterweight for an Advanced Analog MG-1 linear air bearing arm. There may not be anyone here who uses this MG-1 arm, but this has comes up in other forums where folks do own these arms. A need for heavier counterweight can arise when you install a heavy cartridge, or add weight to head shell to improve cartridge compliance.

AA site isn’t up anymore although they are selling complete arms on ebay. On the website there was an option to order heavier arm counterweights. The counterweight is threaded so drilling and tapping would be involved to make one from bar stock. (I sent a message to him, await response). In my case, a Denon 103r was nuded and a Midas aluminum body was installed. (This is a spare arm/cartridge for me. My go to is the Ultra P arm with AT33PTG/II cartridge.)

Years ago, while busy with employment, I had just added putty to the existing counterweight until I arrived at the correct weight. Off the top of my head, there are at least two folks here that I believe could do the math to determine the exact weight of counterweight needed, mhardy6647 and SeleniumFalcon. I’m not that smart so I added putty until I solved the problem. I ended up with .5 ounce of weight added on existing counterweight fully extended for 2.2 grams tracking force. I went a little heavier for my more permanent DIY fix.

My machinist buddy is swamped so I went to the old hardware store and picked up a ¾” galvanized pipe nipple. The OD of the existing counterweight is .8625. The ID of ¾” galvanized pipe is .8465. I cut a short section out and weighed it. A little Dremel work with a sanding drum opened up the ID. After filing/sanding away the hack saw marks, I ended up with an .8 ounce weight for a little added adjustment. Length of add on weight ended up at .6325. I drilled and tapped it for a 4-40 Allen locking screw. Maybe I’ll hunt up a more appropriate set screw later.

A little filing, polishing and it isn’t too shabby looking for something you can't see from the front of table. Black pipe is an option for those that don’t care for shiny stuff. Still using Parks Audio Budgie SUT (CineMag CMQEE-3440AH) and Bottlehead Eros with my DIY Walnut enclosure.

stcncad9mwen.png
xxm6k5kx4htq.jpg
4med4bezlzoc.jpg
1zpduoyzn9px.jpg
2bxlm0hqrfb6.jpg
uik4i9gfgz99.jpg
nmqsfctwlfkm.jpg
0w4gt4d1z7si.jpg
t0bw6tjeonjj.jpg
t24r4ow52fn1.jpg
gyj8vggm111z.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

Comments