Shure M64 phono/tape preamp

Options
2»

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,489
    Options
    A detail photo of the three position selector switch for changing the preamp to phono, tape or flat response.

gkfddos2nk75.jpg
  • SeleniumFalcon
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I've been doing some electrical measurements and preliminary listening with the Shure. The first thing I find is that the left and right channels are extremely well matched. In fact I've never measured any device that ended up with the same output levels for both channels. At first I thought my H-P meter was stuck, but no the meter's needle only moved the thickness of the indicator when switched between the left and right. I carefully matched all of the transistors for gain, going through dozens to find the best ones so that might be why. Also there aren't any variable resistors or potentiometers to cause tracking differences between the channels.
    The phono frequency response using the reverse RIAA circuit was within 0.5dB from 20Hz to 20kHz and only down 1.4dB at 32.0kHz. The averaged THD of both channels was 0.04% at 10kHz, 0.53% at 100Hz and 0.16% at 1kHz for phono. For tape the THD was 0.12% at 10kHz, 0.15% at 100Hz and 0.02% at 1kHz.
    All within the original Shure specifications.
    I measured the IM distortion (SMPTE method 4:1 ratio) as 0.1% for left channel and 0.09% for right channel. The tape gain was 36dB (Shure specified 37dB) in their manual.
    Post edited by SeleniumFalcon on
  • SeleniumFalcon
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I started out listening to the Shure as a phono preamp, substituting it for the vacuum tube unit and my general impression was that some high frequency change happened. I'm working on a method to be able to measure the frequency response from a test record using an Ortofon test record and a chart recorder, but I'm not there yet. I think the cause of the tilt is that I'm using a moving coil cartridge and step up transformer, so I believe the 50k loading of the Shure (along with 330pF) is being reflected back to the cartridge and effecting its loading.
    In any event I'm most interested in using the Shure as a tape playback device. I connected it to the Crown and was very favorably impressed. The output is not as high as the de Havilland but it is noticeably quieter (I believe due to the battery power supply). After adjusting for the volume differences I went back and forth between the two listening to Kind of Blue on a Columbia prerecorded tape. The de Havilland has a palatable coloration, especially in the middle range. Both Coltrane's and Cannonball's saxophones were rendered larger than life (so I imagine) more forward in the stereo mix and I was aware of the echo that was added during the recording (a kind of ringing sound that haloed the fundamental saxophone sound). The Shure, on the other hand, was better balanced in the right and left channel which might lead to a feeling of a wider sound stage, but is actually just a better channel to channel level matching. I could easily detect the drummer's brush work (which some listeners have misslabeled as "swishing noise") on two cuts.
    More fun ahead!
  • SeleniumFalcon
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Shure has provided a way of increasing the gain of the preamp by either 3, 6 or 12dB by paralleling resistors to R13 and R14. I chose to do a 6dB increase by adding 1.0k resistors which increased the gain from 36dB to 42dB.

u3ifbpok33km.png

I also added a toggle switch to the battery compartment making on and off more convenient.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    One of my most telling tapes is a 1961 London recording of Benjamin Britten's Peter Grimes. This recording is famous for being one of the most spaciously accurate ever made. This photo shows how the performers were placed at specific locations on the stage indicated by designated areas.

4zsbhbpryi7s.png

Rather than give everybody a separate microphone, as would be done now, an simple array of overhead microphones remained stationary and the singers would be told to move forward or backward to get a proper balance. If the singer were particularly loud he or she would be told to move one square backward. The same of the reverse, quieter singers would be moved forward to create a balanced sound. Scenes involving character movement were carefully rehearsed so that a sense of people actually moving around the stage was created.

apbltg0eeb4k.png

The result is a breathtaking sense of realism, you will hear a wooden stage with people on it. The Shure combined with the Crown made this completely real.