Anyone own an indoor rowing machine

pearsall001
pearsall001 Posts: 4,981
edited April 2021 in The Clubhouse
I just got clearance from my surgeon today that I can resume driving & everyday activity which includes exercise.
I've used the Concept 2 at my gym pre Covid & did enjoy it. However they are a tad pricey & are very hard to get hold of one now.
I do like the water rowers but can only go by online reviews. The magneto rowers are also an option. There's a few hybrids out there also.
Anyone with first hand experience with any of the rowers & what has been your experience & recommendations.
Budget maxed out at $800.00
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    We took a chance on this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017HSNIEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Purchased last August and the wife and I have been on it every day since. It's holding up very well and will let you know in a hurry just how good of shape you are in :#

• pearsall001
    We took a chance on this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017HSNIEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Purchased last August and the wife and I have been on it every day since. It's holding up very well and will let you know in a hurry just how good of shape you are in :#

Thanks for the link. I'll check out their line of rowers.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    This doesn't apply to everyone of course but home equipment, especially the type that's designed to fold away between use, tends to come with a recommended user weight limit. Even the expensive models can have a limit of 250 lbs. Some have 300 lbs limits though. Doesn't mean people can't exceed those limits but it does speak to build quality and long term durability. The outrageous cost for some equipment these days seems to come from companies building in video screens.

The Sunny fitness machines are very well reviewed for the amount they cost. They get the job done.

I looked into rowers years ago but decided on an indoor cycle and elliptical machine instead. A friend of mine is a spin instructor and she helped whip me into shape.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Emlyn wrote: »
    This doesn't apply to everyone of course but home equipment, especially the type that's designed to fold away between use, tends to come with a recommended user weight limit. Even the expensive models can have a limit of 250 lbs. Some have 300 lbs limits though. Doesn't mean people can't exceed those limits but it does speak to build quality and long term durability. The outrageous cost for some equipment these days seems to come from companies building in video screens.

The Sunny fitness machines are very well reviewed for the amount they cost. They get the job done.

I looked into rowers years ago but decided on an indoor cycle and elliptical machine instead. A friend of mine is a spin instructor and she helped whip me into shape.

Yes, the Sunny gear is built to a price point. The wife is about 125 and I'm at 190, no problems so far.

We also have a Schwinn Stationary Bike that I enjoy more than the rower, easier on my old knees and still gets the heart rate up very easily as well.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Waterrower M1 highrise.
    Quality unit, and you want the highrise because it's an easier on/off for us men. Waterrowers in general offer a good workout without the stress on the joints or having to lift heavy things....which you should not be doing right now.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pearsall001
    Thanks for the info. I'll check out the different models from Sunny Health & Waterrower. I'm leaning more towards a water rower vs magneto or air.

And knowing you Tony & the model you recommend I'm sure it is a fantastic rower.

Thanks guys 👍
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    We have the Concept 2, which I prefer to the Peloton. Don't use either enough, but I'd rather row than ride. If we were going to reassess, I'd probably push for a treadmill over the Peloton.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • pearsall001
    I don't even think you can get your hands on a Concept 2 right now. No real interest in a bike at the moment. My wife has one & she uses it.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I don't even think you can get your hands on a Concept 2 right now. No real interest in a bike at the moment. My wife has one & she uses it.
    My wife got it probably 2 years ago before we got married. It is super low maintenance. She went all in and got the Peloton and C2 at the same time.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Heysushil reported