Polk Audio TSi400 and CS10 Crossover Modification Thread

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,964
edited June 2014 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
This is my second set of TSi400... will post pics of those too...

Clarity Cap ESA, Solen, Bennic electro bypassed by SA series, Mundorf Mox resistors, Jantzen tweeter ind uctor - CS10 is Clarity Cap PX and Mundorf Mox - all point to point wiring, the works :)
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• VR3
    edited September 2012
    Cs10
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • yeahbuddy
    yeahbuddy Posts: 115
    edited September 2012
    Looking great Trey! Can't wait to see what these sound like in my system...
  • VR3
    edited September 2012
    Yeah Buddy!! (Your screen name is awesome)
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited September 2012
    VR3 wrote: »
    Cs10

Hi Trey,

On the CS10's, did you replace the inductors as well as caps and resistors?

What values did you use for each? This is giving me ideas!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • VR3
    edited September 2012
    I did not replace the inductors on the CS10, we kept it budget. The only reason we replaced the tweeter inductor in the TSI400 is one of them was fried... (half of the crossover was melted with blown resistors, crazy stuff)

But I believe the tweeter inductor is 22 awg, .22 mh
  • yeahbuddy
    edited September 2012
    So after receiving these last Friday and unpacking the asteroid armageddon-proof package Trey sent, I finally had the time yesterday to get this installed and start playing around with placement of the front stage and burning in the components.

I'll have to spend some time in front of all these before I can comment on sound, although due to the circumstances of how I picked these up I won't be able to do a before/after comparison on the TSi400's. The CS10 I can, however, so stay tuned.

Meanwhile, I'm just stoked to have these operational. I originally got the TSi400's from a friend of a friend, who was supposedly an "audiophile" that had a ton of speakers around he wanted to get rid of. The truth was that he's a goofball that had these Polk floorstanders and some Boston Acoustics bookies that he had hooked up incorrectly to an Onkyo receiver he was beating to hell by playing music to volumes past clipping. He 'demoed' the speakers by cranking AC/DC to ear-bleeding levels that made me plead for him to turn the volume down before he blew something and ultimately I left the room frustrated. I'm not sure if they were already jacked or if it was that session that did it, but as Trey mentioned he had sufficiently blown the tweeters out of both, and fried each crossover beyond function.

I'd been contemplating sitting down to figure out how to fix the crossovers myself for a few months, but realized that my schedule was just too hectic for me to tackle something like that, so thankfully I've been around this forum enough to be familiar with the work Trey does and figured it'd be a great opportunity to get upgraded crossovers into these speakers to make them shine beyond how they were even before their previous owner trashed them. And I have no doubt looking at the quality work VR3Mods did that this is the case.
  • VR3
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the kind words my friend! :-) To say he destroyed the crossovers is an understatement, he actually melted the terminal mount, melted the traces around the resistors, blew just about every resistor and fried an inductor... hehehe... that is hardcore stuff!

I can't wait to read your review,
    Thanks again :-)
  • yeahbuddy
    edited September 2012
    I still have some breaking in of the crossovers and honing in of speaker placement to do, but I wanted to express my excitement today over watching an episode of Breaking Bad last night. At a particularly tense moment from Walt (seems there's been a lot of those lately) when he's growling at Jesse the depth and clarity from the modified CS10 was astounding. To that point I had still found the center to be a bit lifeless and boxy-sounding, so I'm thinking the burn-in is doing its magic on these.

Stay tuned for further review of the system, and hopefully I'll dial in the TSi's in the near future as well.
  • VR3
    edited September 2012
    Thats awesome man! It takes a solid 250 hours, particularly on the ESA stuff...
  • leuz
    leuz Posts: 1
    edited June 2014
    Hi, I'm resurrecting this post as apparently the crossover of my left speaker (TSi-400) broke and now only the tweeter is working, while no sound comes from the drivers. So while searching I landed here.
    VR3, do you still make, or have you ever made, crossovers for these floor standing speakers? I am asking as I don't see any TSi-400 crossover on your website.
    If yes, can I contact you offline to know more about this?

Thanks,
    Leo
  • Sorry to resurrect this old thread. Are these mods still available?
  • VR3
    I am not currently doing mods for these due to the cost of materials and such do not make sense anymore.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance
  • SgtT11B
    SgtT11B Posts: 2
    VR3 since you aren't doing these anymore. Could you post up the schematic if we wanted to give it a go?
  • VR3
    Unfortunately, I do not have record of the schematic anymore, I wish I could be of more assistance.