Warning - Fraudulent charges on VISA

dee1949
dee1949 Posts: 1,425
edited December 2010 in The Clubhouse
...its that time of the year. Just checked my bank statement on line. There was a charge made to my VISA account today, to

VISA - support@gamefly.co

.....don't have any game machines so called my bank to stop payment because the transaction was still pending.. Bank stated they can't cancel transaction...that it needs to go thru and than file claim....pretty stupid if you ask me. I canceled my bank card and am getting a new one ($7.50 to get new card). Only use card as a Debit card for my checking account. Hopefully nipped it in the bud and all will be right with the world. Check those statements often this time of year.
Post edited by dee1949 on

Comments

• Knucklehead
    Knucklehead Posts: 3,602
    edited December 2010
    Same thing happened to my Wife and I for magazine subscriptions.....wasnt even anything I would read, very frustrating.
    Polk Audio Surround Bar 360
    Mirage PS-12
    LG BDP-550
    Motorola HD FIOS DVR
    Panasonic 42" Plasma
    XBOX 360[/SIZE]

Office stuff

Allied 395 receiver
    Pioneer CDP PD-M430
    RT8t's & Wharfedale Diamond II's[/SIZE]

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music. ~Ronald Reagan
  • blueboxer
    blueboxer Posts: 621
    edited December 2010
    Amazing what people are able to do these days. Online shopping has become so common and routine that we forget the risks associated with using our cards so much.
  • dee1949
    edited December 2010
    ....how do they get the Security Code? That is what puzzles me. Is the Security Code used on all transactions? That 3 or 4 number code that is suppose to make transactions safe. Also expiration date. From googling it seems easy to hack a card....but what about the 3 number code.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited December 2010
    I've had 2 credit cards compromised in the last 5 months. As long as you report it, and follow up--you'll be fine.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • jimmydep
    jimmydep Posts: 1,305
    edited December 2010
    I've had this happen a few times, just alert the bank, change the account #, and stay on top of the situation.
  • fishbones
    fishbones Posts: 947
    edited December 2010
    dee1949 wrote: »
    ....how do they get the Security Code? That is what puzzles me. Is the Security Code used on all transactions? That 3 or 4 number code that is suppose to make transactions safe. Also expiration date. From googling it seems easy to hack a card....but what about the 3 number code.

Credit cards can be run without the security code or v-code, it just costs companies a little more to run the card without it.
    ..... ><////(*>
  • dee1949
    edited December 2010
    ...well, my bank was fast. They instantly canceled card. Today I checked and transaction was completed and then contested. The money is back in my account. Just out the $7.50 for new card. Happy Holidays!!!
  • jimmydep
    jimmydep Posts: 1,305
    edited December 2010
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,707
    edited December 2010
    They made you pay for a new card after the old one was compromised? Never heard of that before. Seems it would also be in their best interest for you to get a new card ASAP, since your not liable for unauthorized charges.

Debit or credit?
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    I might be wrong but I don't think Canada is in Pakistan.
    .....I do have my suspicions, though, as you never know what they are up to. 🤔
    Sal Palooza
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Clearly he is a Pakistani trying to get a Canadian visa to come listen to Polk speakers. Checks out, totally legit
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Three months ago my visa debit card was hacked. Eight $600 dollar purchases showed up on Walmart . Com. I get text alerts if I go over $50 on a purchase. That’s what alerted me. Contacted my bank right away and all were canceled but two. In two weeks I had a new card and my money back. Well s Fargo. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Was it a Walmart in Pakistan though?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,961
    I had several attempted charges and a few that actually went through. Filed disputes on them and received credit to my account. Then closed that card and got a replacement. Now today I got my statement on this card(which I have not actually used at all this year) and there is a $300 balance due...a reversal of an earlier credit for a gift card in February from a company I have never done business with. Got through to the fraud department and all they could tell me is they will look into it. In the meantime I blocked the card and will close it once resolved. I better be cleared of this or it will be the 1st blackball on my credit report in decades as there s no way I'm paying it.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.