Help identify these Advents please

Options
I have had these Advents kicking around for years but never been able to identify them. They are incredibly well built and heavy! I was going to post them locally for sale but I'd like to know what they are so I can figure out what they're worth. They'll need foam but when I was using them they sounded pretty darn good for a bookie. Anyway, can anybody help identify them? They are a 3-way speaker with a hidden woofer that fires upwards. I think the mid and woofer are both 5.25 while the tweeter is a 1" silk dome.

cwxcmtcjy77a.jpeg
2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    If you haven't already, check the following link (especially the last page) -- there look to be some cosmetically similar loudspeakers to yours:
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/identifying-your-advent-loudspeakers.126376/
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    I thought I had seen every Advent ever made. I do not recognize those. They are sort of shaped like the 6003, but are not them. They are also ported, which is unusual for an Advent. Weird!
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited April 2016
    Options
    New Vision 250 Series

Since I have several pairs of the 1992 Jensen International, Inc., Advent model 250 bookshelf speakers. This was the attempt to reach into the high-end speaker market I will shed some light on the information about this special limited run speaker.
    Specs:
    Frequency Response = 45 Hz - 23 kHz +/-3dB
    Tweeter Dispersion (Variance 30 deg. V or H to 13kHz
    Impedance Normal 6 ohms, Min. 4 ohms
    Power Handling, Continuous 100 watts, Peak 400 watts
    Sensitivity = 88 dB
    Useable Frequency Range: Low=38 Hz - 8 dB, High=23 kHz-3dB
    Tweeter=1" ferrofluid filled polymide soft dome
    Midrange=5-1/4" Felted and molded graphite
    Woofer=5-1/4" High extrusion with aluminum voice coil

Finish=Ultraviolet coated vinyl veneer and dark wook finish
    The glossy black top adds to the speaker's classic elegance.
    On the rear are easy-access binding posts for connections.
    Dimensions=17-3/4" x 10-7/8" x 8-1/4" (hxwxd)
    Weight (each)=22 lbs.

The new vision 250 with its Helmholtz resonator integrated subwoofer design, performs in a matter most uncharacteristec for such a compact design. The band pass subwoofer is mounted horizontally in the cabinet. The result is low, rich frequency reponse. The midrange & tweeter has been mounted to produce an accurate soundstage with excellant stero imaging.

The 5-1/4" graphite midrange is housed in its own vented enclosure for seamless reproduction of the midrange frequences. The 1" ferrofluid filled polyamide soft dome tweeter has been matched to the subwoofer & midrange to produce the cleanest high frequency image and broad soundstage.
    Price per pair = $550.
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    Thanks for all the info! Especially K_M that's awesome info that I was never able to come up with in my searches. Now I am tempted to keep them!
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • ambiophonics
    ambiophonics Posts: 718
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Do you happen to know how to remove the lower woofer? When I got these they had the plexi on the top and bottom and still had the protective paper on the bottom portion, I removed it but it's just shiny black plastic. Does the bottom come off to access the low woofer?
    K_M wrote: »
    New Vision 250 Series

Since I have several pairs of the 1992 Jensen International, Inc., Advent model 250 bookshelf speakers. This was the attempt to reach into the high-end speaker market I will shed some light on the information about this special limited run speaker.
    Specs:
    Frequency Response = 45 Hz - 23 kHz +/-3dB
    Tweeter Dispersion (Variance 30 deg. V or H to 13kHz
    Impedance Normal 6 ohms, Min. 4 ohms
    Power Handling, Continuous 100 watts, Peak 400 watts
    Sensitivity = 88 dB
    Useable Frequency Range: Low=38 Hz - 8 dB, High=23 kHz-3dB
    Tweeter=1" ferrofluid filled polymide soft dome
    Midrange=5-1/4" Felted and molded graphite
    Woofer=5-1/4" High extrusion with aluminum voice coil

Finish=Ultraviolet coated vinyl veneer and dark wook finish
    The glossy black top adds to the speaker's classic elegance.
    On the rear are easy-access binding posts for connections.
    Dimensions=17-3/4" x 10-7/8" x 8-1/4" (hxwxd)
    Weight (each)=22 lbs.

The new vision 250 with its Helmholtz resonator integrated subwoofer design, performs in a matter most uncharacteristec for such a compact design. The band pass subwoofer is mounted horizontally in the cabinet. The result is low, rich frequency reponse. The midrange & tweeter has been mounted to produce an accurate soundstage with excellant stero imaging.

The 5-1/4" graphite midrange is housed in its own vented enclosure for seamless reproduction of the midrange frequences. The 1" ferrofluid filled polyamide soft dome tweeter has been matched to the subwoofer & midrange to produce the cleanest high frequency image and broad soundstage.
    Price per pair = $550.

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Sorry, no idea how to remove the woofers, I do not own those speakers.
  • SLO_life
    SLO_life Posts: 1
    edited April 2022
    Options
    REMOVING INTERNAL WOOFER - & other ///ADVE/T New Vision Series info:

Carefully pry up the bottom black plexiglass panel slowly starting on one side. It is held in place by 2 strips of double sided tape.

One bottom black plexiglass is removed you we see a few Phillip head screws holding the removable high density board ‘access lid’ off. You will then need to peal the hot glue gun type material holding the porting tube in place to remove the bass woofer.

You can use hot glue gun to secure the port tube in place after replacing foam surround on the internal 5.25” woofer.

I use Boston Acoustics filleted style high quality foam surrounds on all my Jensen era Advent 5.25, 6.5, 8 & 10 inch woofers. The fillet keeps the factory new look (and performance?) with same original filleted foam type surround, and these are high quality surround USA made foam surround.

NOTES - ADVENT New Vision Series; 250 bookshelf, 350 tower & 500 tower:

Series 500: 3-way tower with removal top midrange and tweeter, that sits on the top with a 6.5” internal mounted woofer accessed by removing bottom stand plate, and tower body bottom ‘lid’, tower is beautiful mahogany veneer. Looks stunning.

Series 350 (A2000), a tower with bottom port and two 6.5” woofer otherwise similar to the Heritage. Same vinyl wood grain surface with black plexiglass top, and square gloss black bottom plate and stand with rear bottom firing port. They were sold to the public.

Series 250, rare only Advent 3-way bookshelf I’m aware of.

My understanding is that only the New Vision 250 3-way bookshelf was only sold to retail sales and company employees and not the public. Based on research I did finding post from old Advent/Jensen employees. All three were designed in a new at the time multi-million dollar sound lab. The lab was later found to be “out of tune” and thus all 3 New Vision models were slightly flawed in sound performance, as they did sound in real world as designed in the expensive blunder of a new sound lab, essentially killing the entire flagship lineup.

I own the 500’s and 250’s. (And Maestros, Babies, Minis, Eternity & more) The crossovers in the 500’s are very fragile. Someday I will build new spec crossovers but am using a off the shelf 3 way crossover that seams to working okay, bass is a little to strong for my liking but turning down at receiver helps. Have been denied winning bids twice on eBay for the 350’s. I suspect the Heritage is a better sounding speaker in the end, but was hoping to complete my New Vision set.
    Post edited by SLO_life on