John C. Koss

SeleniumFalcon
SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,452
edited December 2021 in Headphones
The inventor of the modern stereo headphone, John C. Koss has passed away. For most audiophiles of a certain age the Koss PRO/4AA was the first high quality headphone they owned.

uxit8ria8w53.png

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Thanks for posting that. I read on some other forum that he had died; age 91. Good long life -- and an important player in hifi he was.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    May he R.I.P.
    I certainly had many Koss headphones.
  • I don't know if Mr. Koss had any direct connection with these, but I've always wished I had heard the Koss 1-A electrostatic speakers at some point.

z8jm21bk0da3.png

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    RIP Mr Koss. I have a set somewhere around here.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    I don't know if Mr. Koss had any direct connection with these, but I've always wished I had heard the Koss 1-A electrostatic speakers at some point.

z8jm21bk0da3.png

Heck, I'd settle for some time with Koss's electrostatic headphones. I've never (to date) run across a pair -- even though they were in that business for a long time.

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Dang RIP. The Koss PRO/4AA and then Koss PRO/4AAA were my first couple of headsets after the old 90000lb pioneer's i had as a kid. I still have a set of porta pros somewhere in the house.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • BinKY188_5
    BinKY188_5 Posts: 128
    RIP Mr Koss. I loved my Koss Pro4/AAA headphones and will always regret letting a friend talk me into selling them to him back in the day.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Yes RIP Mr. Koss. My only Koss product over the years was a pair of phase 2+2 headphones bought new in the early 70's.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited March 2022
    I owned some of his little solid wood GEMS that had the MTM design. They sounded pretty good too. Like the Minimus 7's in their Walnut cabinets did. I saw some more Koss speakers like I owned in Goodwills or yardsales but the surrounds were gone. I didn't know how easy it was to re-foam them, so I never bought them again.

The Koss Dynamite M80's. :)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/254785160648?hash=item3b526105c8:g:ncsAAOSwyPhfuUR9
    7m75csenxptm.png

I'd probably buy them now just to re-foam them. What, 10.00 and then 20 for the 4 surrounds. Yea. B)

RIP Mr. Koss. You made or designed some very nice audio products.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.