1.2 tl xover baller on a budget

Options
Even aftet getting a great deal on my tl's, Kenwood M2, and some other good stuff, I've spent nearly a grand in a weekend.
I'm very happy with the results sonically but I'm sure the 30 year xover components are ready for a refresh.
I'm thinking that for now, the biggest bang for the buck in the sound improvement department would be a recap and "rdo98" tweeter upgrade.
I also intend to do the driver baskets and cabinet sealing mods.
Just checking in with the mod gods to see if I'm close to being on the right track.
Thanks for the input, as always.
Paul

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Dude quit while you're ahead. How much more are you expecting out of them in a RV motorhome?
  • Iblameheathkit
    Options
    Thanks for your comment there slapnuts, I'll check back in with you once I get my $20,000 sound room setup.

Meanwhile anyone else have any *helpful* comments?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Use lots of side curtains to absorb reflection
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Iblameheathkit
    Options
    Thanks, Audioluvr. I have a very "dead" listening environment, which includes a curtain that covers much of the side/rear reflective surfaces.
  • Iblameheathkit
    Options
    Definitely not the "optimal" listening area for the big tl"s, but I wasn't going to pass on a $500, once in a lifetime opportunity to own them, based on room characteristics.
  • Iblameheathkit
    Options
    And I don't have them in a rv. I have them in AN rv. I'm guessing you probably buy things for 50 cent too, so I shouldn't be suprised. When you go to the circus, you must see a elephant there.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Who are you talking to?
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I've never heard of a baller on a budget.
    Low-baller, yes.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Don't let anybody curb your enthusiasm.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,473
    Options
    Whaaaat?
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • audioluvr
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I have a 1978 34 ft Holiday Rambler 5th wheel I live in when I work on the road. I wish I had a rocking stereo in it. I did upgrade the speakers to Polk car audio.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Iblameheathkit
    Options
    I'm referring to pittdog2's comment. But anyway, whatever. It takes all kinds of minds to make the world spin.
  • Iblameheathkit
    Options
    I mean yes. Let's just keep stating the obvious. The speakers are big. The rv is small.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Oh my mistake, I thought you were talking to his estranged backwoods cousin, pittdog1.
  • Iblameheathkit
    Options
    Like I said in the testing part of the forum. I was looking for some helpful info from the kind people who mod these great speakers. Along the lines of "I did that mod and thought that changing cap value x for cap value y made it sound better"
    Not some knee jerk response like, man you have those in an rv. Quit while your ahead.
  • Iblameheathkit
    Options
    While *you're* ahead. Proofread got me again
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Try not to abscess over proofreading. It can drive you crazy.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Great score there.
    Having them mobile <3 Your living one of my dreams,Don't rush into them ,they just get better the deeper you go!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
    Options
    ptrooper wrote: »
    Great score there.
    Having them mobile <3 Your living one of my dreams,Don't rush into them ,they just get better the deeper you go!

ojjhtk0c87os.png

https://youtu.be/MaQv-EnFLhA
  • hytekrednek
    Options
    I have a set of 2.3tl in a room that is not ideal, my space is what it is.... smaller than ideal. That said, I had a custom ptp crossover and all new wireing harness built. Also rdo198's, and several other upgrades. They sounded good before all this. Now they sound amazing, even in my smaller living room. I plan to get a new receiver in the coming year, and some nice cables to finish it all off.
    Just because they would sound best in bigger room, doesn't mean they wont sound great in your room.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Wonder if they had 1.2 tl's in this bus and that is why the added an attic ? Naw for real. I had SDA SRS 2's in a 8x15 room and I did not get rid of them because they sounded bad. Someone just wanted them way on than I did $ wise. I think I used Black Dragon's in those with Mills resistors but don't quote me on that. fq9cbax44kqy.jpg
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    How's the BOAB project going?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    I have a set of 2.3tl in a room that is not ideal, my space is what it is.... smaller than ideal. That said, I had a custom ptp crossover and all new wireing harness built. Also rdo198's, and several other upgrades. They sounded good before all this. Now they sound amazing, even in my smaller living room. I plan to get a new receiver in the coming year, and some nice cables to finish it all off.
    Just because they would sound best in bigger room, doesn't mean they wont sound great in your room.

Agree. I had a pair of 2.3TL in a 10 x 10 ft room once and they sounded great. They worked best by having the speakers within a few inches of each side wall and about eight inches off the front wall. A great former forum member Madmax taught me that trick when he sold them and delivered them to me.