New member, and new vintage monitor 10a's (still in the box)

Options
Hi all, I'm a new forum member. I've been lurking for a few weeks but just made my account today.

I scored a pair of breathtaking vintage monitor 10a's. The fellow who sold them to me said they spent most of their life sitting in the box and they sure look like it. You can see the original boxes, packing material, and paperwork in the photos.

I repair and restore old tube amps for a side gig, and I have a dynaco st70 along with a pas3x pre-amp that I will be restoring for my own personal use. I decided to pick up a nice set of speakers to go with this setup and this forum led me to the Polk Monitor 10a's.

I did a craigslist search and found this pristine pair within driving distance and for $300.

I just got them home tonight. I still need to work on the amps that I'll drive them with, but I want to also get the parts I need to freshen up the cross over caps.

I'd love some advice. I believe I should spend some coin for the tweeter crossover cap(s), but I can save some bucks for the driver cap? I haven't pulled the guts. I guess i'm looking for advice. If I can get away with sonicaps for the tweeters and more budget caps for the drivers that's great. If not, i'm not against spending the money (I just hate tossing it on snake oil).

The speaker terminals seem pretty flimsy. Any suggestions on a good replacement that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Anything else I should check or that I'm overlooking?
I'll clean up the fuse/holders with deoxit.

Thanks a lot everyone. I appreciate the advice ahead of time.

Also, if anyone is interested in the original boxes and packaging let me know. I'd hate to just get rid of these if someone will cherish them (but I don't have the room to hold onto them myself).

lxzoijgtnmv0.jpg
bnlul4wwjl2s.jpg
xw82prql4myj.jpg
8rxubok0pcpy.jpg
xohg8x9w9gbh.jpg
uovgpra27b5j.jpg
jv5udbg3nsut.jpg

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,623
    Options
    Nice, very nice.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,478
    Options
    Congrats. Very clean cabinets & grills. Peerless tweeters, nice.
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    dgp2o5wci9j0.png Got a few questions. The surrounds on the woofers. Is the surround separating on the inside - as pictured OR is that just appear that way ? Are all 4 woofers operating properly - in/out without any issues (can be tested by using your fingers lightly to feel for scratchiness) ? You may want to put glue on woofer magnets in future to help prevent magnet shifting. Last question. What's the motorcycle ? Welcome to the forum.
    Randy/Maine
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 748
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Welcome! They do look immaculate.

Sonicaps (or possibly Clarity CSA) and mills resistors for the high pass. Clarity PX or Solen for low cost low pass. Others will chime in. I don't remember all the lower cost, low pass options. The Sonicaps seems to blend the best with Polk. I only mention the Clarity CSA option since it Madisound carries Clarity and Solen.

I did a short attempt at a search but could not find the post. I think someone rebuild the crossovers similar to the RTA 12 with the peerless tweeter to minimize the lobing and comb filtering issues of the two side by side drivers thus improving the imaging. That would make left and right speakers. @westmassguy might know more about how difficult that is. It may require new inductors which would increase the crossover rebuild cost.

I did find this post that is sort of related. https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/173834/westmassguys-idea-employing-damping-to-mitigate-comb-filtering-and-lobing I am not sure if @voltz or @stogie ever modified their M10s
  • telecaster
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    dgp2o5wci9j0.png Got a few questions. The surrounds on the woofers. Is the surround separating on the inside - as pictured OR is that just appear that way ? Are all 4 woofers operating properly - in/out without any issues (can be tested by using your fingers lightly to feel for scratchiness) ? You may want to put glue on woofer magnets in future to help prevent magnet shifting. Last question. What's the motorcycle ? Welcome to the forum.

Hey Boston,

It's just how it looks in the picture. That's just the edge where the doping stops. The speakers (in person) seriously look brand new. The drivers all move in and out smoothly without any scratchiness or voice coil rub. The seals seem good too, I can push in the bass resonator thingy and the drivers pop out and just stay in position.

That scooter in the background is a 1956 harley panhead that I rebuilt as a 1948 panhead. Nice eyes!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk. Very nice example of near NOS speakers are quite rare and it would be a shame to separate them from their factory boxes and packing. Do you know someone who'd store them for you? Maybe someone here could if we knew your location. They may sound great as is with such little use on the crossovers. Please do research on critical mods such as gluing driver magnets.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,721
    Options
    Those are minty.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • boston1450
    Options
    The speakers look showroom cond. Not too often to be seen like that. Boxes are a plus... Nice ride. I always wanted/dreamed of owning a1939 EL. I've had 6-7 now a 05 1450 FatBoy which I hardly use anymore. Just curious if it's a Springer ? Sorry for derail from speakers.
    Randy/Maine
  • telecaster
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Welcome to Club Polk. Very nice example of near NOS speakers are quite rare and it would be a shame to separate them from their factory boxes and packing. Do you know someone who'd store them for you? Maybe someone here could if we knew your location. They may sound great as is with such little use on the crossovers. Please do research on critical mods such as gluing driver magnets.

Ok, yeah you convinced me on the boxes. I can put each into a bag and store them up in my attic (blown insulation and all, but should be fine and much better than letting these go).

I didn't think the caps go bad from use, but for the electrolytic caps rather from age ... where the electrolyte dries up or penetrates the oxide film.
  • boston1450
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Updated Xovers would probably be better than originals also
    Randy/Maine
  • telecaster
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    The speakers look showroom cond. Not too often to be seen like that. Boxes are a plus... Nice ride. I always wanted/dreamed of owning a1939 EL. I've had 6-7 now a 05 1450 FatBoy which I hardly use anymore. Just curious if it's a Springer ? Sorry for derail from speakers.

She is a springer, with a tractor seat mounted on the pole with an internal spring that acts as the rear suspension.
    I'll get a picture for you and post it. It will have the speakers in the background so its not too off topic :).

4ix66wi7vu1o.jpg
    knt795jimkgz.jpg

• boston1450
    Options
    Whitewalls are beautiful. Head turner for sure. Sweet ride
    Randy/Maine
  • telecaster
    Options
    Folks, for glueing the drivers is this a precaution for transportation or should I be doing this even if they will have a cushy life in my house from now on? I guess I lucked out and they made the trip here OK. Do I really need to fuss with them at this point?

Thanks for the advice!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,842
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on the minty 10's.

You should glue the magnets now with JB Weld. IMO, you should go all Sonicap. The mids do a lot more than bass. Cardas has very nice binding posts as do WBT.

The speakers need to be on stands so, warm up the table saw. The plans for the original stands are somewhere in here. If you can't find it I believe I have a copy. Of course, you don't have to make/use the original version. In fact, I believe regular style stands are better. If you don't feel like making any Skylan makes fantastic 4 post stands.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 748
    edited February 2022
    Options
    You are correct electrolytic caps usually go bad with age and heat, not use. That is what I have been told.

Not gluing the drivers should be ok if they have a cushy life, however the adhesive does deteriorate over time, and there could be just the right bump during even a small simple move. There is no rush to add adhesive. It is often done during crossover rebuilds when the speakers get taken apart.

Storing them in an attic might be ok depending on the temperature and moisture changes where you live. When you say blown insulation, I usually think of that on the floor of the attic to insulate the house. The attic itself can see high or low temperatures closer to the outside temperature, plus larger changes in moisture. This can damage the cabinets. Wrapping them in plastic can trap moisture and lead to mold in the box or cabinet, swelling of the cabinets, and rust.

I agree stands will help. Polk set a tipped back angle to time align the tweeter with the mid woofers and help direct the high frequencies upwards when placed lower to the floor. There are a few designs that are pretty simple to build. If you are thinking of purchasing stands, IsoAcoustics makes some lower height stands where you can set the tip back angle. I am not sure what other Polkies think of them. Not many stands allow you to set a tip back angle.
  • F1nut
    Options
    He's not putting the speakers in the attic.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    Options
    I think he was referring to storing the boxes in the attic which would be okay. Electrolytics do derteriorate some with age but heat from use degrades them much quicker. I've picked up some near NOS electronics in the past that sounded great compared to well used ones but as others here have said replacing the factory "Made in Mexico" caps will be a marketed improvement regardless.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • boston1450
    Options
    t8w03v6wy3bt.png I used 2 of these & some black fabric with 10a speakers on em & woooo :D
    Randy/Maine
  • telecaster
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips already folks.
    Right, I was talking about keeping the cardboard boxes in the attic, not the speakers.

If anyone has the plans for the stands that would be great (though Boston, kudos on the milk crate reuse :)).

Is there a good guide for gluing the drivers that I can follow?
  • F1nut
    Options
    Keep mind that Polk only made these like this for the WAF. Proper 4 post stands that bring the tweeters to ear height are the better choice.

2g91xdmhfjhb.jpg

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    This old thread should get you there

Congrats on the minty vintage

Love your thumper ....keep us posted on the progress on your 10's

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/163236/stands-for-monitor-10s-and-a-question-about-spikes/p1
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,946
    Options
    SOLD!!!! PM me on how you want to be paid!!! B)

Very Nice!!!!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    You can always fold the boxes flat for storage. Keep the boxes for sure, it would be crazy not to keep the boxes and all material that came with speakers.
  • Astrl55
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Cardas has very nice binding posts as do WBT.

There is a baffling* arrary of WBT posts available at Madison.
    Any idea which are correct for the Monitor series (5,7,10)?

*pun intended

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,765
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    SOLD!!!! PM me on how you want to be paid!!! B)

Sorry pal, you need 100 posts.

;)
  • F1nut
    Options
    Astrl55 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Cardas has very nice binding posts as do WBT.

There is a baffling* arrary of WBT posts available at Madison.
    Any idea which are correct for the Monitor series (5,7,10)?

*pun intended

Any of them are correct. I like the WBT-0708Cu Nextgen.

President of Club Polk

• Astrl55
    Options
    Thanks, F1nut.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    gmcman wrote: »
    Sorry pal, you need 100 meaningful posts.

;)

Fixed it. Hell I'm not sure I even qualify. :p
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,946
    edited February 2022
    Options
    A minty pair like that are worth the extra coin, great doing business with you, looking forward to getting them.. :p

//////////\\\\\\\\\\