Got a weird one for ya

Options
I have the Dared sl2000a preamp into the McCormack.

The Dared has 2 inputs. Cambridge CD player into one input and works as it should.

The second input has a cheap Amazon Bluetooth receiver connected to it. When I play it that way, the Dared volume control and input toggle becomes useless. The volume is controlled through my phone…even when the Dared is turned all the way down!

The toggle switch doesn’t affect it either. No matter which input it still plays.

So then I leave it playing and put on a cd. The CD player utilized the volume and correct input, but the Bluetooth receiver was STILL PLAYING simultaneously and the volume controlled from my phone.

I’ve had this Dared for quite some time and have always had a turntable in one input and CD player in the other and they both only worked like they should.

It’s like the Bluetooth receiver is somehow skipping the preamp controls?
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,033
    Options
    At face value (i.e., as described) that is bizarre.
    I think that Gordon Sumner originally diagnosed this problem back around 1980...

x2kzey11un4j.png

ahem... let me ask an actual question
    What happens if the BT receiver is hooked to the Dared's other input (i.e., the one to which your CD player is connected?

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,033
    Options
    Wait... when you say
    I’ve had this Dared for quite some time and have always had a turntable in one input and CD player in the other and they both only worked like they should.
    Do you mean you have the output of a standalone turntable hooked to the other input or the output of an outboard phono preamp? Or did the turntable have a built in preamp?

If the other input on the amp is a "phono" (i.e., moving magnet cartridge) level input, it will be severely overloaded by the BT receiver... and all kinds of weird things might happen as a result. Most of those things wouldn't be very euphonic, though. ;)
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited February 2022
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Wait... when you say
    Do you mean you have the output of a standalone turntable hooked to the other input or the output of an outboard phono preamp? Or did the turntable have a built in preamp?

If the other input on the amp is a "phono" (i.e., moving magnet cartridge) level input, it will be severely overloaded by the BT receiver... and all kinds of weird things might happen as a result. Most of those things wouldn't be very euphonic, though. ;)

I’ve had the turntable hooked up through a phono pre first. Both the Dared inputs are like level. I did not try reversing the inputs to see how the BT reacts to the other input. I’ll do that next time I get the chance.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A