RTi A5 for center instead of CSi A5?

Been wanting to get a third A9 to use for my center to switch out my CSI A5 so I’d have 3 matching A9’s for the front but they’re hard to find at the moment. I do however, have a chance to get an RTi A5 and thought it would be a good center upgrade in the meantime. Do you think there’s enough between the two A5’s to notice a difference in center performance to switch to the RTi A5? Or hold out till an A7 or A9 pops up?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,341
    The CSiA6 is a big step up from the CSiA5 and what you should have bought to go with the A9's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,251
    OP: What is a CSiA5? Do you mean CSi5, CSiA4 or CSiA6? Are you planning on turning the floor stander on it's side or is your TV mounted really high? I'm confused.
  • F1nut
    Good catch on the model, I missed that :(

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    The CSiA6 is a big step up from the CSiA5 and what you should have bought to go with the A9's.
    Hermitism wrote: »
    OP: What is a CSiA5? Do you mean CSi5, CSiA4 or CSiA6? Are you planning on turning the floor stander on it's side or is your TV mounted really high? I'm confused.

Sorry, I meant CSi5. I didn't get the A6 because it hadn't been released yet as my original Left/Right speakers were RT2000p's. One of my RT2000p's was damaged during a move a few years ago so I got the A9's to replace.

My TV is mounted about 48" from the floor so there is room to place an A5 (40" tall) underneath. I think an A7 would fit underneath too. I'd have to remount the TV higher to get an A9 under it. Plan is to one day get a projector and place the front 3 speakers behind the screen.

I thought the CSi5 and A6 were similar which is why I was looking to switch to the A5. If there is a big difference between the two centers though, I could look for an A6 first and try that.

Sorry, I meant CSi5. I didn't get the A6 because it hadn't been released yet as my original Left/Right speakers were RT2000p's. One of my RT2000p's was damaged during a move a few years ago so I got the A9's to replace.

My TV is mounted about 48" from the floor so there is room to place an A5 (40" tall) underneath. I think an A7 would fit underneath too. I'd have to remount the TV higher to get an A9 under it. Plan is to one day get a projector and place the front 3 speakers behind the screen.

I thought the CSi5 and A6 were similar which is why I was looking to switch to the A5. If there is a big difference between the two centers though, I could look for an A6 first and try that.

• Sorry, I meant CSi5. I didn't get the A6 because it hadn't been released yet as my original Left/Right speakers were RT2000p's. One of my RT2000p's was damaged during a move a few years ago so I got the A9's to replace.

• I meant CSi5. I didn't get the A6 because it hadn't been released yet as my original Left/Right speakers were RT2000p's. One of my RT2000p's was damaged during a move a few years ago so I got the A9's to replace.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    One more time, please? Just to clarify.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    Holy Hindenburg!!
  • Hermitism
    edited February 2022
    CSi5 and CSiA6 are basically the same. Same drivers, I think updated crossovers in the A6. CSi5 has a boxy cabinet, where the CSiA6 has a more modern curved cabinet. Not worth upgrading a CSi5 to a CSiA6 unless you want the more modern cabinet and possibly better constructed cabinet . If anyone disagrees with me, they'll chime in soon.

edit:
    F1nut wrote: »

I think Jesse thought you were comparing a CSiA6 with a CSiA4. Big difference.
  • F1nut
    The CSiA6 should have no problem being the center channel. I know nothing about the CSi5 and for whatever reason thought you were talking about the smaller CSiA4.

Maybe you need to adjust the calibration program in your AVR.

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,230
    IMHO the best centers Polk has produced are the CS1000P, CSIA6, and the Legend 400
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • sorry for all the repeats. I clicked Post Comment and my message was still in the text input block like it wasn't submitted so I clicked Post Comment a few times thinking it would disappear at some point. My apologies.
  • Hermitism
    edited February 2022
    Reminds me of a girl I used to date. I'd wake up in the morning and she'd be laying next to me. I kept hitting the snooze button thinking she'd go away. Never worked.
  • I have CSiA6 compared to CSiA5 it's just a masterpiece! Good solution with great technology!
  • msg
    edited February 2022
    polkevin wrote: »
    sorry for all the repeats. I clicked Post Comment and my message was still in the text input block like it wasn't submitted so I clicked Post Comment a few times thinking it would disappear at some point. My apologies.

No need to apologize, we were just joshin' ya.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,518
    I'm thinking two rtia9 center channels one on top of the other
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 5,032
    I hardly ever get to use my HT but when I do for sports or the occasional movie....stunned by the CsiA6 clarity and depth vs. my weenie RM system I get banished to every weekend lol.
  • msg
    VR3 wrote: »
    I'm thinking two rtia9 center channels one on top of the other
    TV on the ceiling right where the A9s top out for best image accuracy.
    I disabled signatures.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,105
    Cant think of a better match than the CSIA6 center with the A9s, that's what I got for the front stage A9s and a CSIA6.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,985
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Cant think of a better match than the CSIA6 center with the A9s, that's what I got for the front stage A9s and a CSIA6.
    The CSi A6 works well w/the RTi A7s too😊

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Kryten
    Kryten Posts: 79
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    The CSi A6 works well w/the RTi A7s too😊

+1 on the CSi A6 with RTi A7s. A decent AVR drives them satisfactorily. I have a Marantz SR-7011, 125W @ 8ohms (yes, I know, current versus watts, so I count on their efficiency and don't push it too hard, letting the subs do their thing). I have not (yet) bought an Amp to properly power the A7s, much less a pair of A9s.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,985
    Kryten wrote: »
    I have not (yet) bought an Amp to properly power the A7s, much less a pair of A9s.
    FWIW: they don’t need a beast of an amp to shine. Something on par w/a P’sound HCA-1000 or say a Rotel RB-980/1 series would drive them fairly well though like the A9s, they like power. If a good sub PU the bottom octave*…
    *in my space, the in-room is solid to the low 30s.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Kryten
    Kryten Posts: 79
    Thanks for the Amp suggestions.