Daytona 500 - 2022

Engines are now starting. Racing season is about to start. There are supposed to be new car changes this year, but not sure what is new/different.
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,289
    Cars are completely redesigned. Spec chassis all sourced from the same manufacturer. New engines, new 5 speed sequential transmissions, 18” wheels single lug nut instead of 5. And lots and lots of other stuff. Efforts to reduce costs and increase competition among the teams. Who knows if it will save nascar which has been on a steep decline for the past decade plus
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,130
    edited February 2022
    Anybody else find it too good to be true that the "Penske" team wins on Roger Penske's Birthday? <3

Bubba tried to ruin it though. :s
    Post edited by Tony M on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • stangman67
    Race was a crash fest as most Daytona races are but was at least entertaining, this was the first nascar race I watched through in a few years. Hope nascar can get back to its glory days

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,391
    It's not the racing that caused the decline in fans.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stangman67
    edited February 2022
    There’s lots of things that did. But good racing can bring some amount of interest back.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's not the racing that caused the decline in fans.

"NASCAR today is announcing that Daytona Int'l Speedway is completely sold out for this weekend’s Daytona 500, which could see as many as 150,000 people on site. Daytona already revealed last month that the 101,000-seat grandstand was sold out, in what many in the industry said was the earliest Daytona 500 sellout announcement they can remember;"

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/02/14/Events-and-Attractions/Daytona.aspx

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    TV viewership Bud.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Yes, there definitely were too many TV commercials. This was the first time I watched this race, and I was constantly screaming at the commercials, and channel surfing. I probably won't watch it again.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,507
    I'll bite.
    What is causing a decline in fans?
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • stangman67
    edited February 2022
    The lack of competition, lots of “start and park” teams participating because nascar can’t attract a full field ( and the big money teams dominate all because they have the resources), manufactured drama by nascar in the adoption of stages and manufactured cautions at the ends of races to create the illusion of good competition. The list goes on and on.

One of the main goals of the new car is to be more spec like. To allow the little guys to compete with the Penskes and Hendricks of the world. It’s hard to judge if that has been accomplished after Daytona, because the restrictor plate races have always been the great equalized anyhow

• stangman67
    I would also like to mention the world has kind of moved on from nascar. The diehard fans are becoming less and less common. Series like F1 and Indy have regained a lot of popularity in the US because of good storylines. The Netflix “Drive to Survive” series was a marketing grand slam for F1, Nascar doesn’t have anything that really attracts new fans

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,366
    Nascar has no heroes any more, just drivers of cars that all look exactly alike.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • stangman67
    You are right, I grew up with Earnhardt, DW, Dale Jarrett, Rusty Wallace , Mark Martin and the like. We watched Nascar religiously every weekend. It was fun and exciting, it’s just not that anymore

• F1nut
    machone wrote: »
    I'll bite.

In addition to all the above and really first and foremost Nascar went woke, which pi$$ed off a lot of their loyal fans.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Yes, there definitely were too many TV commercials. This was the first time I watched this race, and I was constantly screaming at the commercials, and channel surfing. I probably won't watch it again.

You missed my point...sort of. Nascar gets most of its money from TV revenue. If less people are watching the TV network can't charge as much for the commercials, which in turn means Nascar can't get as much money from the network.

President of Club Polk

• stangman67
    Yea that’s an unfortunate reality. The Nascar you and I grew up with just does not fit into the world now. I think given NASCAR’s fan base, they are in a very tough position and appealing to the general populous is probably not gonna happen.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,297
    I'll bite.

In addition to all the above and really first and foremost Nascar went woke, which pi$$ed off a lot of their loyal fans.

When the Babba Wallace "noose" kicked off and Nascar swallowed it hook, line and sinker and rolled with it instead of coming right out and stating the "Pull rope" had been there for several years. More than one driver came forward and stated that they had the same rope many years prior and it was not new or had been put there maliciously because Bubba is mixed raced. then to have Nascar stand behind it and send him and others on a media circus tour of how they are going to become all "inclusive".
  • stangman67
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'll bite.

When the Babba Wallace "noose" kicked off and Nascar swallowed it hook, line and sinker and rolled with it instead of coming right out and stating the "Pull rope" had been there for several years. More than one driver came forward and stated that they had the same rope many years prior and it was not new or had been put there maliciously because Bubba is mixed raced. then to have Nascar stand behind it and send him and others on a media circus tour of how they are going to become all "inclusive".

Nascar was dying long before that happened though.

• F1nut
    Perhaps turning right for a change would help.

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 17,173
    edited February 2022
    After Dale passed (my favorite) things really started to evolve rapidly in the wrong direction. The wife and I slowly drifted away from Wokscar through the years, we would catch a race now and then, and still do, but nothing like we did, not even close. But to be truthful, in the last, I would say six years, almost all sports that I used to love to watch, especially basketball, and football, have become a stain on what it once was.

IMO Sports like tennis, basketball, baseball, football, even golf, and hockey, will never be what they were through the 70's, 80's, and 90's. The wife and I have said it many times how grateful we are to have grown up in the best decades, maybe we are just getting old. but to be fair my parents, and aunts, and uncles loved all of this till they passed, why aren't we? because it has changed for the worst that is why..

This woke, entitlement generation needs a switch off the tree, and taken to the wood shed..

Just my .02
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,957
    Add F1 to your list also.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Random pop in thought. I’m a big sports fan. Pretty much on our tv 80% of the time. Never into NASCAR though.

About maybe 8-10 years ago I actually really started to get into it, and then they switched to the stage racing or whatever it is and I completely lost interest. Not sure what the masses opinion is on that, but it completely turned me off, and I haven’t really watched a race since.

2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,441
    I'll bite.

In my humble opinion, and in no particular order:

1. NASCAR abandoned their true and long-standing fan base, in a quest for a newer “yuppie” fan base. They made changes to the sport such as “the chase”, racing “stages” and scheduled cautions. This was all meant to “increase competition”. Problem was, the true fans had no problem with a team wrapping-up the championship with 2 or even 3 races to go. Nor did they have a problem with slow drivers being lapped. All these changes alienated the true fans, and surprise (to no one really), the yuppie fan base never materialized.

2. The drivers lost all of the “down-to-earth” personality that made then so likable. Used to be, a driver would climb out of his car in victory lane sweat-soaked and looking like he’d just been through the ringer. He’d thank the crew, sponsors and fans, all while being genuinely ecstatic. Now the drivers are combing their hair, adjusting their uniforms and making sure their sunglasses are on before they climb out of the car. Then they deliver a pre recorded speech that might as well have been read off a teleprompter. All the rivalries feel staged now, and the drivers all feel like cardboard cutouts.

3. Too many “D-shaped ovals”. Enough said.

4. Going woke. Though it is intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer, the typical NASCAR fan is about as far from woke as any demographic can get. However, that doesn’t/didn’t stop NASCAR from punching itself in the crotch to appear woke. The irony is, absolutely zero people in the woke clan will EVER become NASCAR fans, no matter how much virtue signaling they do.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    Nascar is the poster child of how to take a winning formula and ruin it.

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,130
    2015...Don Lemon...
    2020...Bubba...wants and gets the Confederate flag banned.

Watch the video / "initiative" Bubba calls it. His BLM race car graphics.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/10/us/nascar-bans-confederate-flag-spt-trnd/index.html

Nascar is just like the NFL. It's entertainment.

Most young people don't even know who was President during the Civil War. The kids are being taught something else.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,243
    edited February 2022
    Perhaps turning right for a change would help.

https://youtu.be/bG2OcW_Hwkg

https://youtu.be/UC9Zi1Fpq1Y
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,297
    Most young people don't even know who was President during the Civil War.
    I'll take a stab at this.
    James K. Polk

Whud I win??
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,957
    edited February 2022
    Wrong answer!

You're kidding I hope.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,366
    Rutherford B Hayes? Or was it that McGovern dude?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson