Son of a…..

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
So, the old guy I gifted the Quad 988’s to?

He fixed ‘em and is selling them. I probably shouldn’t be as pissed as I am but the deal was explicitly spelled out as please do not take these and flip them.

He isn’t gouging for them but still….:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649827853-quad-988-speakers/
I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Comments

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Sorry to hear that. Just goes to show some people simply don't have principles.

Good on you for your genuine goodwill in your gift. Don’t let that keep you from it in the future; you did the right thing.

You will be rewarded. 😎
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,567
    No good deed….
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,341
    Life is suck
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,803
    I'd give him 4 out of 5 stars for integrity
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,586
    That's unfortunate, but the fate of a component is kind of out of one's hands once the component's out of one's hands. :/

I agree with the "karmic" comments already posted, FWIW. Folks will reap what they sow -- sooner or later (if that makes you feel any better).
  • TroyD
    Exactly….and he did the work to repair them.

I guess more a case of I should have repaired them and kept them…a little seller remorse
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,118
    y'all's dogmatic belief in karma is quite humorous...as if $h!t never pours on good people and then they die never to see any karmic payback. It's called the problem of pain people...

Sorry about this troy. on the one hand I would be a little ticked, on the other, you sold em cause you didn't want to store them or do the repair work, so does it really matter what he did?!?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    how long ago did you gift them to him? IF it was short term it's a **** move to be sure but if it was years? life situations change and stuff......doenst make it completely ok but might take the bad taste out of mouth.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Jstas
    I don't think it's the fact that he repaired and sold them off that was the problem.

The problem is that he gave his word as a contingency of the gifting and took advantage of Troy's generosity. Troy has every right to feel slighted because, well, he was.

As far as karma goes, who knows? Will he get his? Maybe...maybe not. But if he does get his he'll never associate it with his **** over of Troy because, like I said, 4 out of 5 stars for integrity. Troy might see it and feel a vindication but that's because Troy is the one with the damages, not the lyin' guy. So Troy has stock in seeing lyin' guy's comeuppance.

Lyin' guy doesn't have stock in that, he only sees what's in it for him and likely will never see beyond that. He'll probably wonder why he's increasingly socially isolated as time goes on. As his number of people he screwed over gets bigger or his attitude gets less veiled and worse you'd think he'd put two and two together but there's no guarantee that will happen. Or if it does happen, if it will cause him to change his ways or make amends.

In the grand scheme of things does it matter what that dude did with the speaks? No, not really. But if he fully had an intention to make a buck off of it, he could have slid a few bucks Troy's way or at least gave him something for the speaks. Otherwise, intentionally taking a conditional gift and agreeing to the conditions while knowing full well you were going to violate those conditions is fraudulent. They are just speakers so there's nothing that's going to happen with it but it's still fraudulent and there are identifiable damages. Troy is out the value of the speakers as well as the speakers themselves and the thief profited from the sale so there's a definitive dollar amount on the damages sustained. Given that the exchange of the speakers came with a condition that the other party entered into agreement on with the intent to defraud Troy means that not only is the contract null void but the lyin' guy is liable for the value of the speakers plus whatever anguish he intentionally placed upon Troy with his actions. That's called punitive damages and it's meant as punishment for shady dealings like this after the plaintiff is made whole in judgement.

Troy is just one person. How many other people has he defrauded in a similar manner?

Karma is just a nicer way of saying your fraud is too insignificant for me to do anything about but it's noted that you're a petty thief. Karma will get you, eventually, because you're going to defraud someone with resources who's going to put you in your place.

So while personal sales are caveat emptor, that does not apply when there's evidence of fraud or intent to defraud. There's laws against that and it's illegal for a reason. So Troy's chalking this up to karma because the cost in time and resources of recovering the damages is more significant to him than the actual damages. So he's cutting his losses.

But, find a guy with eff you money and they'll crush him just because. But he won't see it as a product of his actions. He'll see it as people out to get him or the world being against him because he's too narcissistic to see that the years of defrauding little guys led him there. Mainly because he knows the sum is too small to make it worth while to go after him for it so he gets away with it. Until he defrauds someone who can do it for the principle alone. Defraud that guy or gal and that one lawsuit can wipe away decades of ill-gotten gains and bury him under heaps of crushing debt and court stipulated obligations.

• Jstas
    Also, asking $1900 for a pair of speakers he got for free and probably spent a hundred bucks on in parts is some stones.

And yeah, the ER rebuild kits he mentioned, for the 988, they're like $50-$70 each, he needed two. So he's $100-$150 in to them plus his time. They don't take long to repair even if it is fiddly to do. It takes longer to let the adhesives cure. So he's getting $1750-$1800 for his time, probably 2 hours in total.

He knew full well he was **** Troy.

• Troy you have to let it go or it will worry you for a long time. You did a good thing!!

I always think of this phrase when I think of something that might become a serious hurt:

"For me, stuff like this never goes away always lingering in the mind, occasionally surfacing to torture me now and then."
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,251
    In comics, there is always some moment that takes a person over the edge and changes them and alters their course in life. This is your moment! Become a super villain! Travel the world destroying audio systems. Wear a cape, just because they're cool. Own it.
  • TroyD
    So, I reached out to him.....and he’s got some life things going on, ie he is relocating out of the country and is selling off all of his gear and worldly possessions. So, it’s a legit thing....and I am, obviously, totally understanding about that.

The price is really reasonable....and he has easily half that just in parts. Plus,it’s a PITA repair.

So, basically, I overreacted......I’m even tempted to buy them back to be honest but, if anyone is looking for Quads....these are it for sure.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,230
    I would send him a message that if they don’t sell, ...you’re really not in the market to buy them back, but if they have not moved, that you’re offering $1200...just my .02
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • TroyD
    I told him if they don’t move before he departs I’d come get them....
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    y'all's dogmatic belief in karma is quite humorous...as if $h!t never pours on good people and then they die never to see any karmic payback. It's called the problem of pain people...

Sorry about this troy. on the one hand I would be a little ticked, on the other, you sold em cause you didn't want to store them or do the repair work, so does it really matter what he did?!?

I believe in more than karma. I also believe in more than just this life.

Reaping and sowing is real world. It’s appointed once for man to die, then comes the judgment. Every person will give an account of their life to the just Judge.

No one gets away with anything.
    ___

If all there is is this life, no one benefits from or loses anything. There’s no reason to care about anything with a fatalistic mindset; “life is short, get over it”, is the attitude of this belief.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    You’re a good man Troy!
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 5,032
    Spam up his for sale ad with fake replies from the Jerky Boys.