SDA SRS 1.2 sound goes dull at half volume

Hello everyone!
Today I was cranking up my stereo, and at @ half volume the Highs and mids dropped completely off, sound becoming very 'dull'. Then, after turning down the volume, the sound quality returned to normal. I JUST got my amp back from being checked out, so I dont think is a amp issue- Its a DBX BX-1, so it has a ton of power- underpowering is definitely not a concern. Does the crossover have some sort of thermal circuit breaker? It seems to be happening fairly easily- not while terribly loud. Is this normal? Does anyone have any info? Id really appreciate any info, fixes, explanations. TIA
-Brian D

Comments

• Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375
    edited February 2022
    There is a polyswitch in the HF signal path to protect the tweeters. Sounds like you are tripping it. My understanding is that each time it is tripped it gets a little weaker making the next trip more likely.

Not normal, but the circuit is doing what it is designed to do. Sounds like your crossovers could use at least a partial rebuild.
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • Thank you for your quick response Navy. Ive never heard of a polyswitch. Is there a way of testing it? Is it one component? is there a fix ? Thanks
  • It is a single component and essentially what you were guessing anyway. It can be jumped or replaced by a resistor to maintain the circuit. 0 - 0.5 ohms can be used. I think I used 0.5 and 0.47 in the past. Check the vintage section, there is a thread stuck to the top with all the SDA crossover schematics.
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited February 2022
    Poly switches are bad.
  • Perfect thank you. I found the "polyswitches are nasty" post. My 1.2s are really bright, so maybe a new resistor will be the way to go. Thanks guys
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    briandarf wrote: »
    Perfect thank you. I found the "polyswitches are nasty" post. My 1.2s are really bright, so maybe a new resistor will be the way to go. Thanks guys
    RD0-198’s are the way to go, along with TL modded crossovers.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Isnt there a how-to thread with pictures, showing the polyswitch removal without directing me off site?
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited February 2022
    It will be the tiniest component on your PCB. Usually gold/yellow or blue I believe. There is another small component which are the tiny brown silver mica bypass capacitors which are in parallel with the tweeter capacitors so I do not mean those. Desolder it and put a 0.5Ohm resistor in it's place, or whatever those with your speakers say is the proper value. Looking at the schematic would be a good idea.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/attachments/1/8/5/1/1/26686.pdf
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform