• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    edited January 2022
    Options
    oh, and on the subject of nannies...

https://youtu.be/yTxsDZYX2Q0
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    The one they don't leave you alone with.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    The one they don't leave you alone with.

Yeah... exactly!
    umm...

hey!
    waitaminute...

:#

I'm well adjusted.
    Ask my wife.
    Umm...
    tell you what... I'll get back to y'all on this...

o:)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    No more Altec banter?

:(

No, no, no! Just been a hectic past couple of days.

So, this is REALLY inner-esting!

Since I've been dabbling with these Bozaks.....I have taken a great interest in vintage speaker designs and Altec's always seem to a speaker that deserves to be discussed but because, I suppose, it's a horn design doesn't get a lot of love in these quarters. The Valencia's "a" SEEM to be the ones that everyone gravitates to....but I'm interested in the whole thing.

So, the Mantaray horn seems to be, maybe not the dividing line, but where there is a some disagreement in the Altec fan base.......but, just from my reading, it seems to be just an evolutionary thing......so, my question, the Model 14, 15, 19 (the 19's seem to have a following) line....are they an evolutionary step or a step in a different direction?

I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Sorry @TroyD - I thought maybe I got a little too playful & scared everybody off! ;)

The Nineteen is the ultimate domestic evolution of the VOT and a darned fine loudspeaker. Big, heavy & 'spensive, though.

The Mantaray, I think (???) was a CD horn. You're absolutely right that the Altec purists turn their noses up at the tangerine phase plug, the Mantaray, and some of the 'exotic' diaphragm materials -- these 'innovations' were employed, e.g., to improve/control dispersion, extend treble response, and increase power handling. I have next to no experience with most of that stuff, due to the crowd I hang with up here in the tundra of northern New England. ;)

The sleeper in the "modern" Altec home loudspeaker lineup, I'd opine, was/is... the Fifteen. The Fifteen used, I believe, a version of the exceptionally fine 414 12" woofer and the superb 32 horn. The plastic 32 horn is the more desirable of the two, believe it or not, but the metal ones are good, as well. I guess the Fifteen's compression driver does use a version of the Tangerine radial phase plug. :) If you looked at the JELabs link and photos I posted earlier (yesterday), the Fifteen is basically Altec's floorstanding take on that idea for a two-way. I'd love to have a pair. They're not exactly common, but they are out there. Just something to think about :)
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?28473-Altec-Model-15-brochure

an9w7sh6yeqf.png
    1wqzie0b1q2t.png

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Oh. The "equivalent" (roughly speaking) to the Fifteen in the pro sound world was the VOT A8. I am guessing you wouldn't be interested in a pair of those, though. ;) The A8 used a 15" woofer.

zcwgaw63jnjt.png
    3g051sqq63d2.png

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    Options
    Just get the damn Heathkits! Even if you don't love them, you'll appreciate them and can always part with them without loosing any money. I loved my Altecs when I had them. I would love a pair of Santiago's but I would try sealing up the cab (ala 9846-8A). I've got a mismatched pair of 9849's in the shed. One has the metal 32 horn and one has the plastic. I may try looking for a a single horn in the future. When spring rolls around I hope to build some cabinets similar to Urei 815's. Think Altec 15" coax plus 2 helper 15s.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ^^^ good stuff in that there post! :)
  • TroyD
    Options
    I'm thinking man!!!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    I'm thinking man!!!

m35r0l0ihccx.png
  • TroyD
    edited January 2022
    Options
    LMAO!

So, there is a couple things at play here.....not the least of which is real estate and marital harmony.

The Altecs intrigue me....because a billion people can’t be wrong.....

But the longer I listen to the Bozaks.....and I think of the vintage speakers I’ve had....the more I think that while new speakers are “better”; they image better, better treble, more detailed.....they aren’t necessarily more musical and in many cases aren’t musical at all. My B&W 802’s, for example, check all the boxes but can’t carry a tune.

So, anyway, it’s an unexplored country for me if you will...
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    Options
    It would also depend on the amps you would be using and the height of your listening position. If you can get them for around $1k, go for it, If not, listen to the Bozaks and quit bragging. LOL.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    My fall back position for fun easy to listen to speaks has been Polks.
    The R700s would be mine right now if I could fit them in my house
    with WAF. :pensive:

The Bozaks would push her over the edge cuz of the "big Boxes'.
    Same with the Altecs.

I downsized to with NHT in studio 2...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • TroyD
    Options
    TLW has been INCREDIBLY tolerant of this hobby over the years.....and truth be told, she really likes how the Bozaks sound (her faves are the Carver Amazings though) and I catch her digging them quite a bit.

That said, they are huge and ugly....and they kinda block the entry into the living room....and I've got the L800's on the way. I couldn't pass them up and I was one of the folks who for years was "man, if Polk ever came out with a new SDA speaker, I'm buying it..." so the dabbling with the Altec's is on the horizon but we are still in the planning stages. Eventually the L800's will move along....the Carver ribbons are consumable items....and I'm still reasonably young...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    I'm still reasonably young...
    And reasonably old at the same time....
    But I digress....
  • TroyD
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'm still reasonably young...