Feasibility of repurposing 14/4 speaker wire used to a bi-amped subwoofer for two surround speakers

Options
Can I repurpose existing 14/4 speaker wire already in the walls used to bi-amp a subwoofer in the back of the room to instead connect two surround speakers? The run is about 75' from the amp to the speakers. Is this even feasible since I'll have a left and right surround channels in the same shielded cable but not shielded from each other with possible crosstalk problems? If crosstalk is not an issue, how should I use the red/black/green/white wires, i.e. which colors should I use for positive and which for negative and in what combination for the surround speakers? For example, would it be "proper" to connect the left surround with the red (+) and black (-) and the right surround with the white (+) and green (-)? Is there an accepted convention for what I'm trying to do? Should I even be trying to do this?

Best Answers

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes. You could even add a rear center and use one conductor to share all three grounds.

I run my l/c/r in ceiling speakers this way with a single 4 conductor run this way.

Most* Receivers are common ground so there is continuity between all negative binding post
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can use any color but I usually recommend using red black together and green white together
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.