Problem with Atlantis DVD

dylan
dylan Posts: 453
edited May 2002 in Music & Movies
Has anyone had problems playing the Atlantis DVD? I got my copy from Netflix, and it goes through the previews at the beginning, then goes into a loop. It won't even let me skip chapters to get past the previews, or hit 'Menu' to get to the top level menu. I tried a copy from a local place just in case, and it did the same thing. The local place said they've had a few people with the problem. Netflix said "Disney uses an anti-feedback program with all of their discs, and as such will not play on some DVD players." My player is a Toshiba 2715. It's the first disc I've had a problem with. ??
Post edited by dylan on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    have you tried JP3 or Pearl Harbor? what receiver are you using? does this only happen in DD? have you tried the DTS track on atlantis(only on collectors edition)? the JP3 and Pearl harbor have diplayed audio drop-outs, don't know if i've heard of this problem, but i did have severe navigation problems with a couple of discs right before my optical pickup went out on my dvd player. it started with one disc, then about two days later, it was with everything! hope this isn't your problem...
  • dylan
    edited March 2002
    Thanks juice... both JP3 and Pearl Harbor (except for the love story... yeesh :rolleyes: ) played fine, Denon 3802 receiver. I haven't tried DTS yet. Is that the only audio track on the collectors edition (second disc?)? It won't progress to the main menu where you would normally pick the audio track. It gets to the point where it says to hit 'Menu' to get to the main menu, but then seems to skip and get stuck in the loop again. Seems like the player is being flaky, but it's the only one i've had a problem with.
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    have you had any other problems with disney titles?
  • dylan
    edited March 2002
    haven't tried any other ones yet... so that will be a good test. Might have to get another player if it's still doing this when the Lion King comes out... it's been a great player so far... not high end, but plays mp3's without a hitch, VCD's, 5 disc changer, etc. Huh.
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    i've never heard of that disney problem? but it would be a good test for you. atlantis is a great dvd, it's too bad you can't enjoy it at home. did you try either of the dvd's on a different player by any chance? just to rule out that you had two fluke DVD's (rare chance, but a possiblity)
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    i had a problem with atlantis but i tightened my cabbles and it went away but it olny showed up in alantis the problem i would drop the blue of my rgb
  • mhetman
    mhetman Posts: 25
    edited March 2002
    My Atlantis DVD played fine, however I have the single disk version which only has DD EX.
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited March 2002
    i'm a blockbuster bee-yotch and we've had lots of folks tell us that the Atlantis DVD wouldn't work in their DVD players. i don't know of any reasons it doesn't play, but you're not alone dylan.

-josh
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • dylan
    edited March 2002
    Thanks Josh, I appreciate the post. When I was writing that it played mp3's, vcd's, etc fine, I wondered if it plays a lot of formats, just not a lot that well... just Atlantis out of about 50 so far, though.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited March 2002
    no problem with the atlantis or pearl harbor i have on probllems at all with dvd disks, except if dirty or finger prints usually gets dirty if i let someone borrow them, now i got the pioneer c300+1 caracel i tellem that its to hard to get the one they want to borrow out of the caracel. so no problems with disks
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2002
    I've got the same dvd player as you do (Tosh 2715) and have the same problem with Atlantis....It nearly drove me insane. I haven't investigated the why's but seems pretty certain that there is an conflict with our player and that dvd.

BTW: what is your opinion of the player overall?

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • wakbored
    wakbored Posts: 3
    edited March 2002
    More than likely your atlantis dvd authoring lies outsid eof the original firmware parameters. The firmware codes have updated sooo many times (even as manay as five plus times just between model years.) I hate to tell you this but your player is probably fine it just can't quite understand all of the authoring code that the dvd is encoded with.

That makes the perfect excuse to upgrade to a player that does SACD/DVD-AUDIO/MP3/DVD/(etc.)

Hope that helps you,
    Todd
  • dylan
    edited March 2002
    Wasn't that aggravating?? Acted like it would play, then loop again. Argh... anyway, I have mixed feelings about the 2715. I recently sold my old 2200, which I really liked, because I wanted cdr support. One reason is I wanted that is to put my photo albums on VideoCD, like with Ulead DVD Picture Show. It's a really slick program to easily make slide shows out of still images, and you can pick your own music (even mp3 support) to play while the slides are progressing. You can then burn this to either DVD or normal CDR. Pretty cool to see your pictures on a big screen with hand-picked music from the Polk's... But... the 2715 plays the music garbled, while it plays fine on every other player I've tried. I found another post where someone else was having the same problem.

Poor:
    - Slide show music issue
    - Don't like the remote (2200 had a little joystick deal that was perfect for navigating), and am having a hard time with the Denon remote learning it
    - Slow disc changes, navigation
    - Problem with Atlantis (not sure if it's all Disney titles yet)
    - Not SVCD compatible
    - Only displays mp3 titles up to 8 characters, and no 'random' play
    Good:
    - cdr/ mp3/ vcd support
    - 5 disc changer

In the end, I like Toshiba's, but would probably spend more next time for a better build... hard to beat for the price, though.
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited March 2002
    Originally posted by dylan

Poor:
    - Slide show music issue
    - Don't like the remote (2200 had a little joystick deal that was perfect for navigating), and am having a hard time with the Denon remote learning it
    - Slow disc changes, navigation
    - Problem with Atlantis (not sure if it's all Disney titles yet)
    - Not SVCD compatible
    - Only displays mp3 titles up to 8 characters, and no 'random' play
    Good:
    - cdr/ mp3/ vcd support
    - 5 disc changer

In the end, I like Toshiba's, but would probably spend more next time for a better build... hard to beat for the price, though.
    more poor quality than good does not make a happy camper. i wiil remember this when i break down and go get a new one
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2002
    I agree, this isn't the end all, be all of players but I like it pretty well. I don't play mp3's so that is a non-issue for me and the cdr's that I have play very well. The only dvd I have had a problem with is Atlantis, that did piss me off.

My only gripes are it powers up slowly and the remote sucks. Functionally, especially considering the price, it works quite well for me.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • dylan
    edited May 2002
    In case there are more Toshiba 2715 owners out there... the fix for this:
    Before you put in Atlantis (Bubble Boy does it too, so there are bound to be more DVD's that do the same thing), go in to the player's Setup menu. Under the Disc Audio, change the language from 'Original' to 'English'. I also changed any other language options I could find to English. Exit out of the setup menu, and you should be good to go.

I thought the audio on this one is fantastic... and a good workout for the sub.