Rega Planar 6 with Ania MC

Options
Polkies,

Up for sale is my Rega Planar 6 turntable. This was purchased in early 2019 and has been used fairly lightly since then. I would estimate between 100-200 hours on the cartridge. Rated conservatively at 8/10. No major marks or imperfections, standard hairline scratches in the dust cover. I will add better pictures once I’m back home after Christmas.

I have all original materials and packaging, has the NEO PSU. I am asking 1400 net to me. I have plenty of references around here, so whoever ends up with this can save some money with friends and family. I am eyeing an upgrade but want to get this sold first before I pull the trigger

9ltlkd7c5fl7.jpeg

2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius

Comments

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    That’s one big ash sub! GLWYS. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    It certainly ain’t no light weight lol. BYW everyone, this rega sounds fantastic and is incredible easy to use. Set it and forget it! The ania MC is well regarded as a very high value “entry level” MC cartridge

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • stangman67
    Options
    Bump

• maingey
    maingey Posts: 628
    Options
    that audio stand is gorgeous. It looks like the salamander, but but shelving is much more substantial.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    Great table at a great price....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • DividedSky
    Options
    My best friend has this table and loves it! GLWS
    Primary: Doshi V3.0 pre and phonostage, Vandersteen M5-HPA, Vandersteen Quatro CT, AMG viella, Goldfinger Statement, AQ Niagara 5000, AQ IC and power cords, Mapleshade Samson V.5

Secondary: Nakamichi PA7, Nak CA5, Polk LS90, Sota Sapphire, Sumiko MDC800, Van den hul Crimson
  • TroyD
    Options
    Guys, the cartridge alone is 800 bucks.....this is destination level gear. If you blow it out with the groove tracer platter/sub platter you are REALLY getting into reference quality analog
  • stangman67
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Agreed, it’s a no fuss and fantastic sounding turntable. I’m going to spend significantly more to get something much more complicated and frustrating in the search of diminishing returns. This hobby is most certainly the definition of insanity at times lol

A few more pics of the table as I enjoy it right now

wg306rqf6owi.jpeg
    6uc1e1cqcgj9.jpeg
    f4fwamoxbjiw.jpeg
    plo2u4t9fwoy.jpeg

• TroyD
    Options
    Not for nothing, if you are looking at going farther up the analog food chain, again, look into the Groove Tracer upgrades. They propel the P6 from a great table to a reference quality table.
  • MarcC119
    MarcC119 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello, brand new to this forum, is this P6 still available?
  • stangman67
    Options
    This is now back up for sale! 1100+ actual shipping to polkies (friends and family preferred)

A couple potential negatives. The connector for the speed control cable in the turntable has come a bit loose, still works fine and probably needs to be tightened from the inside but I never bothered to do this. I’ve been getting a bit of surface noise from the setup lately, I imagine the cartridge is due for an alignment. I estimate the cartridge has somewhere between 150-200 hours on it. Haven’t used it at all since the post went up.

The price reflects this minor issues and it’s priced to sell

• stangman67
    Options
    I’m shocked, I thought this would fly. What’s the concern? This is a well known and rebound setup for 50 percent of retail

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I may pass my table to my son. Do you have the original packing for shipment? Coug fan here. But go Dawgs is in the family too. 👍
  • stangman67
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    I may pass my table to my son. Do you have the original packing for shipment? Coug fan here. But go Dawgs is in the family too. 👍

I absolutely have all the original packing and materials for it!

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited September 2022
    Options
    A Dawg fan (wife) LIVEs here in Crawford GA. Where are you?

@stangman67 seriously considering your Rega* if Wagner doesn’t go for it. That cartridge: low output MC or high output?
    *early circa 80s Rega Planar 3 owner, needs cartridge**. If yours** is low output that makes this P6 a legit upgrade. My Circa 80s (1984 ?) Meridian preamp will only allow low output cartridges.

Thanks best fortune to all regardless. Tony

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • stangman67
    Options
    It’s low output indeed. I use 58db of gain and it works out pretty well.

As always, go Dawgs! Bob I’ll forgive you for being a cougs fan

• gp4jesus
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    It’s low output indeed. I use 58db of gain and it works out pretty well.
    58dB? Adjustable TT input gain? What are you using to interface to your system?
    I will research that cartridge for compatibility to my pre-amp.

The early-mid 80s dogma (no pun intended) was LO MC had the lightest moving parts, thus having, everything else equal, greater SQ potential. I realize there are exceptions.

I came up on fixed gains Sometimes the user could vary the usually important loading. My pre-amp requires adding or swapping resistors. LO voltage .3 - .4 mV (MV?), of course either external or “MC input” usually providing enough. HO voltage was about equal to MM or MI so add’l gain not needed .

Thanks. Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    It may be a good idea to get an external phono preamp, with easy to change settings, to get more flexibility with gain and load parameters for any phono cartridge rather than rely on the limited functions in a preamp or receiver. Having an optimal setting for gain/noise yields improvements in sound quality. Modern phono preamps don't have to be expensive to get high quality MM plus MC flexibility.

FWIW, some MM cartridges outperform some low output or high output moving coil cartridges in some respects. Having a separate phono preamp that can adapt to any cartridge is a huge benefit long term.
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    Payment sent. Thank you Zach.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Woof woof!!!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • stangman67
    Options
    Thank you Bob! Happy it is staying in the family

• gp4jesus
    Options
    Congrats Bob! To either you or Zach: what model tone arm came w/ the P6? My P3 came w/the RB300. It’s a one piece arm - you cannot remove the head shell. A pain to setup but worth it.

@Emlyn
    My first foray into the LO MC world required add’l gain and user-means to adjust resistive loading as my then pre section provided only for HO cartridges.

I agree - a dedicated phono preamp is tough to beat. Particularly if one has a cart that’s very load sensitive - resistance and/or capacitance hasta
    be just so.

Tony
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Congrats on the new table! Great deal!

I've been using MC for several years now. I prefer an SUT (Step Up Transformer) and good MM stage versus high gain MC stage. And I have had some nice MM/MC stages. YMMV.

Passive gain with an MM can result in a lower noise floor. Of course, the SUT must be matched to cartridge. I'm using a Park's Audio Budgie, no longer listed at Park's site. It works with my AT33PTG/II and second arm with an aluminum bodied Denon 103R. Two speeds, low and high gain.

You can also DIY an SUT as they can be pricey.

This Budgie was $339 new. Uses Cinemag CMQEE-3440AHPC (~$75 each), the PC meaning pinned for circuit board. The AH has wire leads.

wtwbuzv00waa.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    h14aln5bgv76.jpeg

I bought this budgie from John a ways back. I will use it and I do have a phono pre too.

I look forward to this for sure.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options

I bought this budgie from John a ways back. I will use it and I do have a phono pre too.

I look forward to this for sure.

Kewl! Which trannies does it have? Should be visible on side.

uxy063td0i2h.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    Cine mag cmqee-3440ah.
  • stangman67
    edited September 2022
    Options
    @gp4jesus the P6 comes with a RB330. Good arm, great sounding and simple overall package

• gp4jesus
    Options
    The 300 & 330* appear very similar (in pictures*)

Thanks. Tony