What volume do you typically listen at?

Options
I see people saying they listen to their music at 100-105db and I wonder how the heck that is physically comfortable?

I listen at 85-87db and when I really want to crank it I see peaks in the 92-93db range and I cannot imagine listening any louder without risking serious permanent hearing loss

Wonder if it’s a function of age and hearing loss that requires the louder volume. For reference, I am 32 and get my hearing tested a few times a year (military) and have not had any hearing loss as of yet
2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    WHAT ? SPEAK UP SONNY....

when I was younger I'm sure mine was in the 100db range and my ears tell me now, that was not a good thing.

I do not now like to get up from a session and walk away with my ears ringing. I'm guessing now I'm like you closer to the 85-95db. Maybe a short listen on a great song just a bit more, but not continuous for say an hour or more.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    I would say my average is around 85 to 90. Occasionally a little louder
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Options
    I'm at that 85-90 as well.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Classical is at the the 65-75 db range, while Metal is in the mid 80-90+ db range. After breaking both of my previous S5 speakers by playing at extreme levels I have calmed down. Plus getting older also helps.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    I usually start out around 75 db with music for some reason but the volume gradually gets upped to around 85 db. Anything much above that is outside of the sweet spot for quality to my ears.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Playing a game right now. Music, gunshots, explosions, conversation, etc. Don't know how accurate this particular app is with my particular microphone but I'm sure it's not wildly inaccurate. I let it run & collect info for 10 minutes with the mic about 1/2 a foot from the speaker & my ears are about a foot or maybe two away. I'm not a crank it up kind of guy except in the car.

y8mwl1sbshk3.png
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • VR3
    Options
    I bought a spl meter to compare to my phone, my phone averaged 10 to 15db less than meter
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited December 2021
    Options
    When I was younger I had sensitive (golden) ears. I was able to hear the fine details in live music and on quality playback systems. The tube integrated analog systems with big speakers, playing records were atonishing the first times I heard them as a kid in the 70's.

For at home listening I didn't need a lot of volume, 75-85 dB. I would always need earplugs when practicing drums, playing music, going to concerts, etc. My ears would ring and fatigue easy with too much volume.

When I would play live music I had a bud with horrible ears that would always ajust the PA to a point of loudness, and extended mid/high range that would make my ears bleed! I would ALWAYS have to tweek the system before a show.

Today, the ears are not what they used to be. Age, loud music, sinus, enlarged tonsils, etc.

https://youtu.be/iN3PBpInNJM
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I bought a spl meter to compare to my phone, my phone averaged 10 to 15db less than meter

Have you tried comparing with different apps or even different phones if you have any? I'd be interested in the results. I don't think mine is that far off, I'm definitely not hitting 90-95db on that I'm sure. My neighbors would have something to say.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • VR3
    Options
    On my phone, every app, and the phone stops going up after 90 continuous
  • Emlyn
    Options
    I still use my old analog Radio Shack SPL meter.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »

Same here.

zn9xjbrivyul.jpeg

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    ^^^^ That's the fancy one they made for rich dudes. Mine has red needles that bounce back and forth. I may have had the same 9 volt battery in mine since 2012. Could be time for a change.

:)
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,473
    Options
    75 to 85 is best for my system/room
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    I rarely get past 80 db these days.
    OTOH, I try to set the music to were it sounds "right" for the media
    in question. FWIW...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »

Same here.

zn9xjbrivyul.jpeg

I still have one of these.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    I usually do not ever measure the volumes I listen at. It depends on ambient noise. It depends on the recording and the quality thereof. It depends on my mood. It depends on what genre of music I am listening too. It depends on whether it's late night listening when the family is asleep or if they are gone and I can crank it to my heart's desire. Bottom line?

It depends.

With that said, I always try to get right at that sweet spot where the room isn't overloaded but it is as loud as it can get, while at the same time, achieving realistic playback levels. In other words, I wouldn't want to listen to an acoustic guitar at 105Db because that is way beyond realistic. To me, that's just annoying, no matter how well the system playback is.

I am blessed to have a full range system that sounds really good at a very low noise floor at a level on the pre of 3. Granted, it goes up to 100 but even on 54? It had damned well better be a STELLAR recording because at that level? Holy crap Batman....

Whenever I do measure off my phone? I use the same app Trey does and I am averaging around 70-75Db during normal listening sessions.....so, if I were to use the SPL meter Trey has, I guess I would normally listen to music 10-15Db higher than what my phone measures.

With that said, many times, I go over to other people's systems and they play it way too loud for realistic enjoyment. This is the case at public audio events (Like LSAF) and even sometimes at PF's, CF's and the like. To me, the volume is just as important as the reproduction effort of the system itself. I am not impressed by how loud a system gets. I am impressed at the end result as to what hits my ears....whether it be loud or soft.

IMO, pay as much attention to the volume as you do engineering your system....and know its limitations if you are going to crank it to ear shattering levels. People don't want to hear distortion cranked up loud. Well, some people may but not I.

Finesse with authority is where it's at for me....at realistic playing levels. Give me the micro, macro details. Give me the texture and natural roll off of the instruments. Give me the shot through the core of a Tom drum but also relax the shattering of a cymbal, so I don't blow my ears. Give me the body shock of a kick drum while at the same time, the finesse of a chime during a busy passage.

I don't play it so loud that all of the above and more get congested into a stew of *fill in the blank* sound.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    I see people saying they listen to their music at 100-105db and I wonder how the heck that is physically comfortable?

I listen at 85-87db and when I really want to crank it I see peaks in the 92-93db range and I cannot imagine listening any louder without risking serious permanent hearing loss

Wonder if it’s a function of age and hearing loss that requires the louder volume. For reference, I am 32 and get my hearing tested a few times a year (military) and have not had any hearing loss as of yet

Check out the following government article on NIHL (noise-induced hearing loss):

https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/noise-induced-hearing-loss#:~:text=Sounds at or below 70 A-weighted decibels (dBA),,of time it takes for NIHL to happen.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.