Sealed records or unsealed records?

Options
Here's a question that's been floating around my head for awhile. If you are looking for a particular limited edition audiophile record which is out of print and out of stock at the record stores and you find two available on the secondary market. One is factory sealed and the other states that it was opened, inspected, ultrasonicly clean, played once and is a perfect copy. Both are the same price from reputable sellers. Which one would you buy? The reason I ask is because I see many sealed records listed saying presumed mint, or no returns. Over the years I've bought quite a few of these types of records new from big name sources and there were defects. The big names always made good on them, but a secondary seller may not.
Hafler DH220 Power amp Recapped
Hafler DH110 Preamp Recapped
Hafler Digital FM Tuner
Virtue Audio M1 Piano CD Player
Technics SL-1210-MK5 with a Rega Exact Cartridge
Polk SDA1c's(Rebuilt XO's by Ben) RDO194 Tweeters

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited December 2021
    Options
    well... if my goal were to purchase the record to play (i.e., to enjoy it myself) I would probably buy an open (used) copy. It should be cheaper than a sealed copy -- at least if the album/release is at all collectible.
    There's also that "The devil you know vs. the devil you don't" >:) thing. The sealed album is a bit of a pig in a poke. E.g., could be warped or have other issues. If it's current production from a reputable vendor, it should be (could be?!) returnable. Otherwise -- it may be an expensive place mat.
    Also -- at least back in the day, some larger record shops had heat-sealers on the premises. It was said ;) that the less scrupulous ones might take a returned album, reseal it, and resell it as new. Some folks are way less picky than others when it comes to the quality of a purchased item... and some folks are way less confrontational about returning things, even if they are truly defective. :|

Those are my fairly un-modern perspectives, FWIW.
    I am sure others have more up-to-date counsel, informed by the insanity of the current vinyls :# market.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I’d go with the one that was opened, checked, and cleaned if it a regular LP. Depending on how old it is the sealed copy may be warped from improper storage in the old shrink wrap. When referring to “audiophile” I assume it’s something like MoFi. It is less likely those are bad because some people just buy more than one copy when those come out, store them properly, and sell their sealed extra a bit later for triple or more than what they paid.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I’d go with the one that was opened, checked, and cleaned if it a regular LP. Depending on how old it is the sealed copy may be warped from improper storage in the old shrink wrap. When referring to “audiophile” I assume it’s something like MoFi. It is less likely those are bad because some people just buy more than one copy when those come out, store them properly, and sell their sealed extra a bit later for triple or more than what they paid.

Agree older ones originally sealed have a good chance of being warped, happend to me a time or two.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    ...'specially modern production. :(
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Well since everyone else is saying go with used I'm going to say go with vintage sealed. Especially if it's a reputable dealer
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Options
    Any record can be "factory sealed" . Buyer beware.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.