Technics SL-Q2

Options
Thoughts on this old player ?? Seems the wife has had a desire to get a player since rediscovering all her old albums. I haven't screwed around with TT's in 40 years. This one came up locally, has good solid reviews and a decent Grado on it.

I don't need top of the line, but also don't want it to sound like an AM radio either. I know the Q3 is the fully automatic version but I can live without that. Seems solid for the price, thoughts ?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/647372452955127
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Nice piece. Well built at a time when the basic Technics DD tts were getting a bit plastic-y. It's a whole lot nicer than, e.g., the roughly equivalent, non-quartz locked SL-D2 semiauto DD tt of roughly similar vintage.
    I used one as our "daily driver" for a few years; supplanted the much, much much more expensive Marantz (Clearaudio OEM) TT15S1 I'd bought because it bettered it in every respect and the arm's heavy enough to track a low compliance MC cartridge.

Of course, mine was a dump find, so the "value proposition" was off the charts. B)

24190144976_1d5fdb57f4_b.jpgDSC_2461 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

13999734544_a54ab9d1c0_c.jpgspinnin2 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

No adjustable pitch, though, on the quartz-locked SL-Q2, so the Mrs. won't be able to scratch-mix or beat-bop or whatever the hep cool kids call it. Yo. :#

vinylengine has the manuel manual for it, if you're curious/interested.

Given the current insanity of prices in general and all things vinyl in particular -- that price seems extremely fair if it is in good working condition.

PS It should sound darned fine with a Grado -- the lush, sonorous tone of the Grado MI cartridges is pretty much the antihesis of AM radio sound. In fact, listen to The Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here when ;) you get it -- it's like in The Wizard of Oz when the world turns Technicolor when the static-y radio programme fades out and that acoustic guitar part starts. :#
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Da specks.
    (Chicagoan for Here,sir, are the specifications)

4xchv7imp1s4.png

• Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Mhardy is spot on. I have both the D3 and the Q2, and the Q2 is definitely better than the D2. It’s currently paired up with a Nagaoka MP-110. I have no complaints. zrg18vralugx.jpeg
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Great deal on a Technics table with oe box to get into listening to records again. That thing would be listed for $250+ around here, and it would be in crappy shape.

I've found some of the similar Technics tables are a bit microphonic, but not really noticeable during play, only with autos at the end, or when operating the table without turning down your volume first, which I've learned I should be doing anyway. Also raising or lowering the top.

If it really bugged you, I'm sure you could sort it with some Dynamat inside or something, but likely it won't bug you enough to mess with.
    I disabled signatures.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,068
    Options
    I have a couple of Technics tables as spares actually using a SLQ300 with a decent Ortofon cartridge in the home theater rig it's old but still functioning quite well for its age cant remember what the other one is but there both fully automatic and still work for the price they are asking why not, what Grado is on it?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Great deal on a Technics table with oe box to get into listening to records again. That thing would be listed for $250+ around here, and it would be in crappy shape.

I've found some of the similar Technics tables are a bit microphonic, but not really noticeable during play, only with autos at the end, or when operating the table without turning down your volume first, which I've learned I should be doing anyway. Also raising or lowering the top.

If it really bugged you, I'm sure you could sort it with some Dynamat inside or something, but likely it won't bug you enough to mess with.

Oh, it comes with the box?! Heck, the box, in 2021, is probably worth the asking price. :|
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Thanks guys, but I went to grab it yesterday and it was gone already. Son of a ....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable