RIP Michael Nesmith

Options
I know the Monkey's was a fake TV band but still, I enjoyed the TV show as a kid, and some of their music was not bad. Granted, written by Diamond or Carol King, Boyce and others but still, the show was entertaining at the time.
Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,080
    Options
    Nesmith led the charge to gain some creative and performing autonomy of the Prefab Four, resulting in the largely self-deterministic Headquarters. He was also a pretty fine songwriter.
    I posted one of my personal faves at https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/195468/dang-mike-nesmiths-gone
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Options
    He also wrote this tune, made famous by Linda Ronstadt (with Stone Poneys)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5tWs2kGTkE
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    yup, that he did.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,842
    Options
    The TV show was meh, but I liked some of their music when I was a young whipper snapper.

R.I.P.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    Always liked the show, as goofy as it was. I wanted that motorized skateboard bad. lol. Didn't his family also hold a patent on liquid paper ? Anyway, always seemed like a decent guy, RIP.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Yes, Mike Nesmith's mother invented it. See the Rolling Stone obit for the little kick that her estate gave his art & his career when she passed away.

I will say, loud and proud, that I loved the show (I was a kid!). :)
    I have all of the rekkids, too, through The Birds, The Bees and the Monkees. Over the years, I've acquired... umm... several copies of a couple of them. :#

• mhardy6647
    edited December 2021
    Options
    speaking of the Prefab Four ;) -- In all seriousness, if folks haven't seen this holiday-themed a cappella performance by the Monkees, this might dispel some of the impression that they were naught but hack actors. :)

https://youtu.be/JthZskazxKo

As an aside, ever think about what would have happened to the Monkees and all of rock music in the 1960s and 1970s if Stephen Stills had actually gotten one of the four lead roles on the show? :#

o0xgcczjmur6.png
    x2a2ymifchbo.png

as it was, Mike Nesmith was certainly (OK, from my perspective, anyway), the most interesting Monkee, before, during, and after their heyday.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,623
    Options
    I too watched the show as a kid, I liked as well. It was good stuff from my perspective.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    ^^ Did you guys also subscribe to Tiger Beat magazine?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • pitdogg2
    Options

Lol..... Ummm No!
  • mhardy6647
    Options

I don't believe that this request is covered under the Freedom of Information Act. :#
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Options
    Nesmith was the only "real" musician in the bunch. AFAIC
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,317
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Lol..... Ummm No!

But, he still has the Leif Garrett poster in the basement.

Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2021
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Lol..... Ummm No!

But, he still has the Leif Garrett poster in the basement.

May your next power strip be from Chernobyl....

🤣
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Back in 70-71 I was stationed at the Key West Naval Air Station, and would occasionally spend (party) the weekend at some hotel in Miami or Boca Raton. Anyway, one weekend I noticed Michael Nesmith on the beach, and said hello. After a few minutes of idle talk we went our own way, and that was my one encounter with a rock star. RIP.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.