Subwoofer without sub-out port

Options
Hello and good day! I have three receivers, and none have a sub-out port. The newest is a Yamaha R-N303 purchased this week. Also purchased a Polk PSW10 sub, is there any way I can use this fine speaker? Reading the manual there are two setups that don't use the sub out, one involving preamp out and the other (opt 2) using the speaker in and out clips on the sub. Info on audio forums indicate that one could go to the speaker in on the sub, then speaker out back to two other speakers, and this is shown on option two in manual. Will this work? I have called support??? three times and the nice people in Manila now nothing about the product.
I was told that if I did not have a sub-out port the speaker could not be used, yet clearly in option 2 there is no use of sub-out port. A look on the web shows that a receiver with speaker a and b front selections could use B to go to speaker level clips on sub. Another option mentioned was use of a line level device to convert receiver speaker output to low level RCA outputs. Sorry, this so long but seems that there is a lot of confusion about this issue. I would be so grateful for any info.
Baseless in Newberry, Fl

Best Answer

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can use the speaker level in/outputs. From the receivers speaker outputs to the subs speaker inputs, then the subs speaker outputs to the actual speakers. Then adjust the crossover, and this will depend on the speakers and room. Normally, start at about 80 and work lower until your ears tell you where you like it.

Will work best that way for music, movies not so much, which is why a dedicated sub out is best for that. Any reason in particular you settled on that Yamaha, besides price?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's

Answers

• elgreco
    Options
    thanks tonyb, I bought the Yamaha because no one has any equipment for sale here, I am still using the Harmon Kardon components I bought in the 80s. The old Japanese stuff has held up well. bought a new Teac cd deck (china) $400 and arrived DOA, ditched it and got another used HK for $80. only one real audio shop in Gainesville and now they cannot get equipment. The repair man said it is imposable to get parts from China.
    What about going straight from speaker B to the subs speaker level input? saw a video on the net with a guy with a set just like mine, claims it will work if you have speaker A and B selectors in front. Thanks so much!!!! Maybe I should dive into my storeroom and dust off my old Bozaks and mackintosh.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    What about going straight from speaker B to the subs speaker level input? saw a video on the net with a guy with a set just like mine, claims it will work if you have speaker A and B selectors in front.
    That works perfectly.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Speaker B should be fine.
  • elgreco
    Options
    Thanks so much to Tonyb, SeleniumFalcon and F1nut, maybe I won't be baseless any more.
    Elgreco
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    I've always admired your paintings.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    elgreco wrote: »
    Thanks so much to Tonyb, SeleniumFalcon and F1nut, maybe I won't be baseless any more.
    Elgreco

You may still be baseless, but you won't be bassless.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• elgreco
    Options
    Thanks again, I have been tied up with baseless ideas of bassness. now on to Bass Addiction, for whom the bell tools and Ace of Bass.