Somebody's got some 'splainin' to do.....

Options
zbky8xeo584d.png
What in tarnation is this?

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    It looks like a smaller model than the Wilson Benesch Resolution that TAS reviewed ($74,500). However, looking at the WB website, I’m not sure if it’s a current model.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Wilson Benesch Resolution

Geometry Series 2-Way Electric, 4-Way acoustic, Floor Standing Speaker
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Loudspeaker designer takes a big toke, holds his (or her) breath for a moment, exhales slowly and drawls.
    This'll blow their minds. Install them woofers backwards, man...
    Now, where're the danged Doritos, dude?

oldl8s8syxfw.png

In (some) seriousness, there are all kinds of whacky alignments as many of y'all know -- push-pull drivers, multi-chambered baffles (cabinets), and whatnot.

I am sure it's not an example of a minor QC lapse, or medicinal marijuana use, for that matter.
    ;)

• maxward
    Options
    Looking at photos of the Resolution on their website, there is a third woofer (an innie) above the two outties in the lower unit.

http://wilson-benesch.com/resolution-floor-standing-loudspeaker/
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    actually the to bottom outies are 4 drivers in a cone to cone Isobaric config

1 x 25mm ( 1") Wilson Benesch Semisphere tweeter

1 x 170mm ( 7") Wilson Benesch Tactic II Midrange drive unit

1 x 170mm ( 7") Wilson Benesch Tactic II Upper Bass drive unit

4 x 170mm ( 7") Wilson Benesch Tactic II Isobaric bass drive units
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• maxward
    Options
    No argument. I read the review with some interest regarding the isobaric configuration. The ask is at least one order of magnitude higher than my limit.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    No argument. I read the review with some interest regarding the isobaric configuration. The ask is at least one order of magnitude higher than my limit.

Yeah I needed some more splainin' for myself. Even more info on isobaric driver configs which I only new existed in subwoofer
    Wilson's are above my paygrade too

• mhardy6647
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    actually the to bottom outies are 4 drivers in a cone to cone Isobaric config

1 x 25mm ( 1") Wilson Benesch Semisphere tweeter

1 x 170mm ( 7") Wilson Benesch Tactic II Midrange drive unit

1 x 170mm ( 7") Wilson Benesch Tactic II Upper Bass drive unit

4 x 170mm ( 7") Wilson Benesch Tactic II Isobaric bass drive units

Isobaric! I was grasping for the term, but I was too lazy to look it up! Thanks.
    :#
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    g9uae0r3tw8p.png

This might just be quite possibly the ugliest, cheapest looking, dumbest idea ever for a grill.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,041
    Options
    Must be sonus faber
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    GamuT RS3i

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Joseph audio had something similar on one of their lines
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    g9uae0r3tw8p.png

This might just be quite possibly the ugliest, cheapest looking, dumbest idea ever for a grill.

Tom

Give's the audiophile's house mice a way to exercise. :#

It's no worse (and no better) than some of the horrific "finger protectors" put on vacuum tube amplifiers nowadays, I'd opine (and FWIW). :|

nspanaz3a8wl.png
    cndcdqi43wkv.png
    4c9misdbpvd3.png
  • treitz3
    Options
    Eh, those I can understand. They are there for safety and shouldn't impact the sound. To have metal in front of the drivers that can radiate excitement when certain frequencies hit, while at the same time? Produce unwanted reflections/refractions?

I don't think so, Scooter.

Tom
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Eh, those I can understand. They are there for safety and shouldn't impact the sound. To have metal in front of the drivers that can radiate excitement when certain frequencies hit, while at the same time? Produce unwanted reflections/refractions?

I don't think so, Scooter.

Tom

Sure the back parts aren't bungie cords?
    That is what Sonus Faber uses...fabric covered rubber bands, essentially. Not like it is any better, just fairly certain that's what they use...

Edit

Yup, that's what they be...
    1jrsma0704ja.jpg
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • maxward
    Options
    Perhaps they were purposely designed so the significant other can say, “Oh, your speakers look so much better without those thingies. Why don’t you leave them off?”
  • treitz3
    Options
    Me thinks maybe maxward is onto sumphin' here.... ;)

To have a metal bar....in front of the drivers (even if off to the sides) will cause reflections and refractions that will smear the imaging. They may not ring with excitement if the bands are kept in place but the bands themself absorb wave energy. Admitted, that (absorbed wave energy) may not be audible but the sound will most definitely radiate off of the metal.

Gotta give credit where credit is due though. They are ugly....I'll give them that.

Tom
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Phil had these AAD 2001 monitors. I had the pleasure of hearing them a few times...absolutely fantastic! No issues with the metal bar grills.

8ezq039ysb6d.jpg

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    Options
    Those did sound really good
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Were the grills ever taken off?

Tom
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Those Gamut tweeters look incredibly similar to some far less costly ones that measure extremely well. 😉
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Were the grills ever taken off?

Tom

No and no need IMO.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• maxward
    Options
    Them’s some serious lookin’ stands!
  • F1nut
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    Them’s some serious lookin’ stands!

The walls of the speakers have lead sheets sandwiched between the inner and outer walls. Heavy MF's.

President of Club Polk

• maxward
    Options
    The lead is probably a great idea unless you need to move or ship them.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Somebody done whacked them suckas wif a ugly stick, though.
    Yeah, I know... de gustibus non est disputandum... but, still...
    :#
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Primaluna stuff looks better without the cage. Speaking of, they don't get much love around these parts and I'm kinda wondering why.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    Options
    I don't even know anyone who owns a Primaluna anything. Wouldn't mind getting my ears on a unit.

Tom
  • VR3
    Options
    Mike in greenville runs primaluna
  • treitz3
    Options
    Sweet! I'll follow back up with Mark and see if he is still on the road to better health. If he isn't, maybe we can just do a day at Mike's for the next GTG.

Tom