New Turntable in the house!

124»

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    msg wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    That'll let 'im test how good of a match the compliance of that Grado is in the low-mass arm of that h/k. :)
    gz70p11o1re4.jpg

What section of this rekkid has the booms. I see a couple of groupings here that look like they could do something. What's with that one really wide skwiggly?!?
    It's the grooves on the left with the big wide loose squiggles.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    That'll let 'im test how good of a match the compliance of that Grado is in the low-mass arm of that h/k. :)
    gz70p11o1re4.jpg

What section of this rekkid has the booms. I see a couple of groupings here that look like they could do something. What's with that one really wide skwiggly?!?
    yeah,it's the part that looks like no LP you've ever seen before -- kind of near the end B)
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Ok. Ok! I picked up a cheapie LP and played it. Tracked fine. I actually prefer Wellington's Victory on this albumozd6i6yx6lk6.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • jdjohn
    Well...it's the Telarc version of that record that everyone goes on about, but I wouldn't sweat it. It's more like a survival torture test than a meaningful measurement.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    gz70p11o1re4.jpg

yeah,it's the part that looks like no LP you've ever seen before -- kind of near the end B)

I half wondered whether that was a hand-pulled score mark used for snapping this record into a 7".
    I disabled signatures.
  • audioluvr
    I'm just trying to figure out why everyone here hates Grado cartridges.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • jdjohn
    'Hate'...such a strong word. I think it's more of an 'annoyance' that many Grado carts present...and in the end, not worth the effort.
  • msg
    Hey! That's one of the few carts I managed to get around to mounting!
    What's wrong with them, generally?
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    "Hey!" yourself :) Grados generally have a HF roll-off that CAN be unappealing to some folks (including me). Also, they historically can have a 'hum' issue when the cartridge is in close proximity to the tt motor. This can be subjective, and measurements inaccurate, so YMMV. But, then again...why risk it?
  • msg
    Haha
    Good info! I didn't know any of this. Once I get back up and running with the other carts mounted, I'll have to take a closer listen for these characteristics.

When I first got started with records the second, no, third time, technically, I got a Shure M97xE and a Grado Green. The only thing I could tell was that the Shure was smoother and more forgiving with noisy records, at the cost of detail. The Grado was more detailed, but revealed imperfections more.

Grado headphones I struggle with.
    I disabled signatures.
  • audioluvr
    jdjohn wrote: »
    ...they historically can have a 'hum' issue when the cartridge is in close proximity to the tt motor.

Sounds like a TT design flaw to me.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• msg
    Yeah. Definitely makes more sense to cut out a TT motor and convert it to out-board.
    I disabled signatures.
  • audioluvr
    Or at least on the opposite side of the cartridge/ tonearm. ;)
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited November 2021
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I'm just trying to figure out why everyone here hates Grado cartridges.

I don't. I've liked the sound of Grados since the first time I heard one, at a funky little place in downtown B-more called "High Fidelity Center" in 1977 (give or take).
    audioluvr wrote: »
    jdjohn wrote: »
    ...they historically can have a 'hum' issue when the cartridge is in close proximity to the tt motor.

Sounds like a TT design flaw to me.

It's because of the Grado moving iron design plus their use of an unshielded cartridge body.
    There's also the "Grado dance" in some arms -- but, absent those quirks, the Grados have delivered a lush, satisfying (if not utterly "accurate" -- whatever that means) sound since the early 1960s (at least).

• engie490
    engie490 Posts: 424
    I've never tried a Grado, but have considered it from time to time. Just never quite pulled the trigger...

So, my Ortofon Vienna finally lost its stylus today. I was crushed. It's been quite the sonic performer. I've been listening almost solely to records largely because of the sound I get (got!) from it.

My depression was short-lived though. I pulled a Fidelity Research FR-1 Mk 3 out of the backup pile and I'm surprised how good it sounds. Not sure how much I'll miss the Vienna...until it's repaired.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • engie490
    Oops...almost forgot...getting back to the topic at hand, another thing you can do about hum is to check that the tonearm clips are tightly connected to the pins of the cartridge. Loose clips are a great way to create hum.

For reasons I'm not privy to, not all cartridge pins are the same exact size.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • jdjohn
    @engie490 you are at quite a nice level with the SP-15 and that long Jelco arm B) I have a FR MM cart as well, and it sounds great...meant for use with medium-to-heavy arms. FWIW, I have an SP-25 that I love...trying to settle on the best arm for it.

So...speaking of 'new turntable(s) in the house', I brought a couple back from my dad's collection.

First is a Modular Component Systems (MCS...aka JC Penney) 6500 semi-automatic belt-drive turntable:
    odaf77sljqq0.jpg
    I replaced the belt, cleaned and re-lubed a few levers/pivot-points underneath, and even added a small-gauge tension spring to assist in triggering the motor switch. I outfitted the tonearm with a spare, random, headshell with a Realistic/Shure cartridge (M75 variant), and it's working great. This setup is flagged for my sister-in-law. I'll probably polish the top of the dustcover a bit before delivery.

Next is a very unique tt design - the Sony PS-F5 (aka 'The Flamingo' in Japenese circles):
    2nzt7rmpv1wc.jpg
    This is a linear tracker, and can be oriented either horizontally or vertically. Unfortunately, the cartridge/stylus assembly is not the standard T4P, and is (rather) a bit proprietary. This example is [cough] not exactly working perfectly, but luckily, there is still a somewhat robust group of enthusiasts for this (and the F9) model, so I should be able to get this rascal running. I already have a new tonearm belt ordered. Based on recent sales, these things are apparently selling for crazy money.
  • engie490
    Thanks @jdjohn! You're doing the Lord's work by resuscitating those old TTs and passing the analog fever to others.

My biggest problem with the SP-15 is that the Jelco arm is near the top of its height setting. Sounds fine, but doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

My next project is to build a new plinth for my Nottingham Mentor. Then I'll be able to mount my Bokrand-built Ortofon AS-309 arm and use my SPU and FR-7 carts.

I'm thinking I'll build the plinth so I can mount 2 arms. Wish me luck!