Blue Sky Exo 2.1

Options
I just picked up a Blue Sky Exo 2.1 system off craigslist, and I know it's the smallest system from the previous generation, but I've always wanted to try Blue Sky monitors. They were a bit dusty, but seem to work great, and have a uncommon pro-sumer design:

- desktop control module accepts XLR, RCA, or 1/8" with appropriate gain DIP switches
- control module has headphone out, volume level, and subwoofer level
- Amp on the 8" sealed subwoofer provides the power out to both monitors (90w, 35w, 35w)
-4 ohm monitors have 1" tweeter, 3" aluminum cone woofer, and 5-way binding posts
-all drivers are secured with hex cap hardware, and the subwoofer has threaded spikes

Blue Sky makes studio monitors, but these sound very good with music unlike some monitors which can be over critical or flat sounding. Blue Sky claims the system is "full range" from 20hz - 20khz with in-room gain, but that seems very optimistic from some initial listening. However, the quoted 35hz seems very realistic for an office space, and the monitors crossed at 140hz actually blend very nice to the woofer.

More thoughts to come...

lv5tu5ty56ps.jpg

pl6mnuaknlr2.jpg

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    edited November 2015
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    I just picked up a Blue Sky Exo 2.1 system off craigslist, and I know it's the smallest system from the previous generation, but I've always wanted to try Blue Sky monitors. They were a bit dusty, but seem to work great, and have a uncommon pro-sumer design:

- desktop control module accepts XLR, RCA, or 1/8" with appropriate gain DIP switches
    - control module has headphone out, volume level, and subwoofer level
    - Amp on the 8" sealed subwoofer provides the power out to both monitors (90w, 35w, 35w)
    -4 ohm monitors have 1" tweeter, 3" aluminum cone woofer, and 5-way binding posts
    -all drivers are secured with hex cap hardware, and the subwoofer has threaded spikes

Blue Sky makes studio monitors, but these sound very good with music unlike some monitors which can be over critical or flat sounding. Blue Sky claims the system is "full range" from 20hz - 20khz with in-room gain, but that seems very optimistic from some initial listening. However, the quoted 35hz seems very realistic for an office space, and the monitors crossed at 140hz actually blend very nice to the woofer.

More thoughts to come...

lv5tu5ty56ps.jpg

pl6mnuaknlr2.jpg

Don't care about your speakers, wish my desk looked like yours... Here's mine right now.
    7t4s8cb6dhvc.jpg
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    Options
    Heh... looks a little messy Ken, but no worse than my desk on a bad day.
  • zingo
    Options
    I had a few questions last night about the speaker system not answered in the manual, so I shot off an email on Blue Sky's website. I just received an email back answering my questions from Rich Walborn; Blue Sky's CTO and former VP of Engineering at M&K. Looks like they take their customer inquires seriously!
  • zingo
    Options
    Crossover with sandblock resistors, electrolytic caps, and air core inductors. Maybe in need for cheap set of wirewound resistors and poly caps? I do appreciate that all the connections are soldered, even the board connections for the binding posts.

dxbwbbvrrsog.jpeg
  • zingo
    Options
    3" woofer with cast basket, and 1" tweeter with a small magnet; cabinet is stuffed about 90% with layered batting.

zma4zb66sg4n.jpeg
  • zingo
    Options
    The 2.1 plate on the subwoofer started to make an occasional thumping noise and running very hot. I contacted their tech support and they said the output filter was going bad; a known issue with these first gen units. The offered me a replacement plate amp from the current gen two units (same size and specs), and I happily paid $130 to have it shipped to my house. Replacing the old plate amp was a breeze, so if you can find a set of Blue Sky Exo 2.1 with a bum plate amp, it's an easy and cheap way to pick-up a great desktop system!
  • zingo
    Options
    So while messing with these speakers, I decided to plug in my old Monsoon planar speakers instead of the Blue Sky monitors, and I might be liking the Monsoon's better... Both speakers have a 4ohm impedance, cross about 120hz to the subwoofer, and both were designed to be used with a subwoofer mounted 2.1 plate amp. Obviously the Monsoons have more openness than any box speaker, but the detail is comparable to the Blue Skys. The Blue Sky monitors sound a little more full, but also have a closed in sound that is not as enjoyable to my ear in multiple A/B tests.

I originally found the Blue Sky exo system when the plate amp went out on my Monsoon system (and quality parts are impossible to find), and I like the desktop mounted control and headphone amp of the exo system better (fed by an HRT USB DAC), but the Monsoon planar monitors still can't be beat in my office!

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/73810/my-new-flat-pannel-speakers
  • sebastianciho
    Options
    @zingo do you still have exo system, or the old plate ? I`m trying to repair a system that has 2 blown components in it`s output filter. I`m interested if there any labels on c7 and c8 capacitors on that filter. C7 is a yellow one c8 a brown polyester one, both located near the output relay
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    @zingo do you still have exo system, or the old plate ? I`m trying to repair a system that has 2 blown components in it`s output filter. I`m interested if there any labels on c7 and c8 capacitors on that filter. C7 is a yellow one c8 a brown polyester one, both located near the output relay

Zingo has not been online here in months.
    This thread is 5yrs old
  • sebastianciho
    Options
    @pitdogg2 I realize that, but still worth a shot! For 2 bloody capacitors I`m taking any measures... Contacting the producers or any users that have the model in question. thanks tho for the respons..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    edited November 2021
    Options
    @pitdogg2 I realize that, but still worth a shot! For 2 bloody capacitors I`m taking any measures... Contacting the producers or any users that have the model in question. thanks tho for the respons..

take some pictures of the caps in question, we may be able to answer that. Sometimes the values are under, you may need to desolder and look.
  • artesdev
    Options
    Hi all

Have a I have a Blue Sky Exo 2 speaker system to repair, and I can't find the wiring diagram of it. Some parts burn on the amplifier board and need to know what are those parts. For those who can help me, here's the parts location on the board

C7, C8, C47 and R8

Thanks

8a1ueowwocub.jpg
  • sebastianciho
    Options
    @artesdev Shoot ya a pm. check it there
  • jurni
    jurni Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm looking for the pinouts for the remote control for the Bluesky exo 2.1.

@sebastianciho ?
    Thanks in advance :-)