Phase Linear 700b?

Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
edited January 2007 in 2 Channel Audio
Someone around here is selling a Phase Linear 700B in minty condition for $250. Should I grab it and aim to displace my 250w/ch Sunfire with its 350w/ch?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited January 2007
    YES YES buy it right away!! You won't lose any money because I'll buy it off you if you feel you can't use it....assuming it works of course.

Joe

Btw, why is he selling it?
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited January 2007
    I had a pair of 400B's I used for years! Great amps, and you can't beat the coolness of the twin meters on the front (assuming the 700B's had them!). They did tend to have fragile output transistors if you shorted out the speaker wires. There were also some mods/updates that made them much more reliable. Great sounding amps, with balls to the wall power capabilities. I would grab it for that price. There is a Phase Linear website, and I don't think you would have any trouble with repairs.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited January 2007
    If you are going to get a PL amp, that is one to get. It may need some work due to age, but they are worthy of the mancave. Don't test it on your good speakers. Here's a ebay auction for a wood case for it.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Wood-Cabinet-Phase-Linear-400-700b-4000-w-Inst_W0QQitemZ150077164919QQihZ005QQcategoryZ51250QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2007
    You may want to consult with George Grand, he has a wealth of knowledge about Phase Linear and almost everything Bob Carver related.
  • Does anyone know were there is a phase linear 700/700b ?
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Well, 14 1/2 friggin years ago... But now use eBay like the rest of us schmucks.
  • I kid you not. I was at a small homecoming party for a mutual friend just last night and the home owner had a Phase Linear 700 sitting in his rack. It sparked some interesting conversation. He also had some older Advents and some Heil AMT's amongst some other goodies. I don't follow much of the vintage gear but pretty cool to run into another one of use in the wild.
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    I kid you not. I was at a small homecoming party for a mutual friend just last night and the home owner had a Phase Linear 700 sitting in his rack. It sparked some interesting conversation...
    [emphasis added]

Talk about low-hanging fruit...

B)

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I highly recommend the White Oak Audio upgrade kits for vintage Phase Linear amps. I upgraded a PL-400 power amp from my dad's collection using one of their kits, and the resulting product has impressed me immensely. I will have a hard time letting go of this amp.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Kinda like the old Crown amps.....ok, I get the cool factor but, man, I can think of a lot of amps for a lot less money I’d rather own...
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    There is a group of PL enthusiasts in a Phoenix Audio Community forum that might have something of interest. I know the old Motorola bipolar BJT outputs are not as sexy (or en vogue) as some others, but with enough of them together, there is a lot of energy and headroom.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Oh, I’m not bagging on them per se.....but, to me, early solid state was dreadful. Definitely to each their own for sure but exploring early solid state was a thing that held zero attraction for me....but that’s just my .02.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    I've got a couple of those early, brittle sounding ss pieces here -- not for any logical reason, other than I got 'em cheap (or free) and folks pay stoopit money for some of them... so I keep 'em as a hedge against, you know, having to sell a kidney at some later date. :|