Thinking about adding a KEF KC62 sub into the mix

Options
Currently running dual KEF Kube 8 subs with KEF R3 standmounts. The sound is phenomenal! 🎶🎶
But as things go in this crazy hobby things can change on a dime.
I've read numerous reviews on the KC62 & I have heard it in action paired with other KEF speakers along with quite a few Wharfdale speakers & I must say the KC62 is a force to be reckoned with.
I have the room size at 30' depth so rear placement wouldn't be an issue.
I would listen to it solo & also paired with the existing dual 8's to see how things shake out.
This is strictly for 2 channel listening. I have my HT rig covered already.
On a side note I really have to commend KEF with their sub lines... pretty much overlooked but worth checking out.
Any thoughts or experience in running 3 subs.
I'm a big fan boy of standmount speakers paired with quality subs
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    edited October 2021
    Options
    @pearsall001 …“I'm a big fan boy of standmount speakers paired with quality subs”…

Copy that! I would add that I’m a big fanboy of that arrangement with both speakers and sub in acoustic suspension designs.

I would think regarding your multi-sub question that the general rule is it is best to have an even number of subs to balance out bass response in a typical room. Perhaps an unusual room layout may have other considerations.

I tend to prefer keeping the model of sub used identical, as well, for consistency.

Would love to see a review from you on the Kube 8s!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 4,997
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    @pearsall001 …“I'm a big fan boy of standmount speakers paired with quality subs”…

Copy that! I would add that I’m a big fanboy of that arrangement with both speakers and sub in acoustic suspension designs.

I would think regarding your multi-sub question that the general rule is it is best to have an even number of subs to balance out bass response in a typical room. Perhaps an unusual room layout may have other considerations.

I tend to prefer keeping the model of sub used identical, as well, for consistency.

Would love to see a review from you on the Kube 8s!

The Kube 8b subs are the smallest of their siblings which also include the 10b & the 12b.

But small in stature does not by any means diminish their performance. I was looking for a small footprint sub & came down to the 8b or 10b. My KEF dealer (been doing business with him for over 20yrs) recommended the 8b.

I took them home (always with a generous in home trial period). Well let me tell you these little guys (11.5 x 11.5 x 12.2) bowled me over. Not only are they gorgeous but brought the goods big time.

Rather easy to integrate into my system with KEF's excellent DSP programming.

They simply disappeared into the room...literally. The musical foundation they formed was incredible! As good as the R3's are running solo the new soundscape brought on by the dual 8b's was something that once you hear it you don't want to be without it. Simply stunning! The mids & highs musical performance were also elevated. That's what quality subs bring to the table.

As a fanboy yourself of standmounts & dual subs you exactly what I'm talking about.

The whole KEF Kube series are all exceptional & with a price tag that won't break the bank.

Now the KC 62 (also the KF 92) are entirely different animals. I'm still thinking about pulling the trigger on the 62. 🤠

"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    @pearsall001

Thanks for the mini-review!

Glad to hear the KEF subs keep pace with their speakers, which are very fast (responsive to the signal fed) to my ears.

Currently, I have four Q300s, and two Q100s for surround-sound. These blow me away on movies. They are very cohesive and dynamically explosive, but I may consider a sub upgrade soon.

Let us know if you pull the trigger on the KC62.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Picked the little guy this past Sat... she might be tiny but man oh man she is "MIGHTY" & I mean Holy Sheet Mighty!!! 🤠 More to follow after some more listening.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    It's truly amazing what a quality sub adds to the musical presentation. This little bugger delivers in spades...and then some!🎶🎶
    The entire musical soundstage takes on a whole new dimension. The "you are there" experience is taken to a whole new level. Cheers to good listening!
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    Totally agree, quality subs are indispensable for realism in playback. Music is much more satisfying with them, rather than, without.

Glad the KC62 worked out well for you!

• decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Options
    Get this instead...............
    Thought this might be of interest to our members with deep pockets.

4xbv15q1ck5a.png

ifbn3scenttg.png
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • guyincognito
    Options
    Only $32,000? I'll take two.
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • pearsall001
    Options
    decal wrote: »
    Get this instead...............
    Thought this might be of interest to our members with deep pockets.

4xbv15q1ck5a.png

ifbn3scenttg.png

Nice!!! But I have to pass, I'd probably have to reinforce the concrete walls☺️ It sure is nice though seeing a top notch speaker company that understands the importance of a sub for true music reproduction.
    Trust me the KC 62 is killing it in my system. 🎶🎶🎶
  • steamy
    Options
    I have a pair of R3’s and decided to add two, yes I grimaced at the price, KC 62’s
    I’ve been trying to dial them in and I’ve been moving the crossover point lower and lower to reduce bass peaks and boominess. Does anyone have a suggestion for the crossover point?
    Or any other suggestions. I can tell, though, that this is gonna work.
    I’m using a Schiit Freya+ and two mono Aegirs for power.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    When I had the R3's (excellent by the way) I had fantastic results with the XO set at 50. Make sure you have the DSP mode set correctly to match where you have the sub placed. The volume might be set too high if you're experiencing any boominess. The KC 62 can really dig deep & will blend seamlessly when set correctly. It's one fantastic sub.

I wanted to try something totally different in the speaker department & recently picked up the Magnepan LRS...the KC 62 is dialed in & performing flawlessly. Awesome speakers & they sound fantastic.
  • steamy
    Options
    Thanks, Pears,
    I had settled around 45 Hz just by ear. I’ll tinker a bit with that but lower seems to be better than higher.
    The R3’s are rated at 50 or 58 Hz for their lower frequency range but I don’t know how they roll off.
    At any rate, turning down the volume helped with boominess. It’s hard to turn new subs down!
    But I am near the point where the bass seems to be coming out of the R3’s but they’re better R3’s!
    And stereo bass is good too. Wilder and more convincing soundstage.
    It’s a lot of money to fill out the bass but bass was the missing link for me.
  • steamy
    Options
    But I discovered something. Bass noises are expensive and treble noises are cheaper.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Embrase the "Rabbit Hole" once you enter there's no going back.
    Money well spent though on those subs! Enjoy