Are my Polk SDA Speakers Obsolete?

Options
JNeuge
JNeuge Posts: 1
edited December 2008 in Speakers
I have had these Polk SDA 1C Speakers for 20 year, and they still sound fabulous. However, the rest of my system is obsolete. Is there any reason why I cant use these speakers in a new system?
Post edited by JNeuge on

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited December 2008
    Options
    JNeuge wrote: »
    I have had these Polk SDA 1C Speakers for 20 year, and they still sound fabulous. However, the rest of my system is obsolete. Is there any reason why I cant use these speakers in a new system?

Nope. There's a lot of choices in amps that can properly drive them.
    What other gear do you have that's past it's prime????
    It may be better than you think.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited December 2008
    Options
    “Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers.” – Audio Asylum Member

DK's sig.

You actually have one of the favorite SDA models before you get to the big boys.

You can upgrade the Xovers and get new tweeters and you will have a great pair of speakers all over again.

Enjoy.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,045
    edited December 2008
    Options

They are totally out of date...I will come and dispose of them for a small fee...just kidding.
    Note:
    What is out of date is half of the new crap that is manufactured and called names like "Full HD" or "Up-converts to 1080P" or "Total Surround Sound Package" or B*se 321 Surround Sound System" or...must I go on?

Sorry, welcome to the forum. You have great speakers.
  • bluecomet
    bluecomet Posts: 1,118
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I have many newer speakers. I never heard SDA speakers before until recently. I now have five sets of them which I purchased over the last two months. Nothing compares to these speakers that I have heard. Granted I haven't lessoned to ten thousand dollar speakers but I this point I couldn't care less. I have a SDA 1C set like you and they are great. Keep them, upgrade them and enjoy them. You are not missing anything.
    Polk HT system 1: LSIC, LSI25 mains, LSI F/X rears, Lsi F/X rear centers,
    Yamaha RX-V2500 System, Carver A753 3 channel amp.

Polk HT system 2: , SRT system with f/x 1,000's rear speakers on 7.1 system currently using Onkyo TX-RZ820 receiver, powered by Sunfire Grand Theater amp

Polk Speaker collection: SDA SRS 1.2tl x 2, SRT system, SDA SRS 2 P/B, SDA 2A, SDA 1C Studio, SDA CRS+, Monitor 7B & 4, SRS 3.1tl, RTA 15tl, LS90, LSI 9
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,386
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Is there any reason why I cant use these speakers in a new system?
    Absolutely not.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Where are you located. I'll come take them off your hands for say $50-60. You can apply that money towords some cute little cube speakers. Just kidding. Welcome to Club Polk. As mentioned those are some great speakers;)
    Enjoy
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited December 2008
    Options
    bluecomet wrote: »
    I have many newer speakers. I never heard SDA speakers before until recently. I now have five sets of them which I purchased over the last two months. Nothing compares to these speakers that I have heard. Granted I haven't lessoned to ten thousand dollar speakers but I this point I couldn't care less. I have a SDA 1C set like you and they are great. Keep them, upgrade them and enjoy them. You are not missing anything.

So your why I can't find any around here. ;)

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Nope, like others have said they will integrate with any system. I just drove 2200 miles round trip to pick up a pair of Studio 1Cs. As you can see in my sig the rest of my gear is pretty current sans the Mits which I purposely sought out last year used, I hate fixed pixel displays, a well calibrated CRT-RP will blow the doors off most other displays just like a set of 1Cs will blow the doors off most modern speakers.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited December 2008
    Options
    thsmith wrote: »
    Nope, like others have said they will integrate with any system. I just drove 2200 miles round trip to pick up a pair of Studio 1Cs. As you can see in my sig the rest of my gear is pretty current sans the Mits which I purposely sought out last year used, I hate fixed pixel displays, a well calibrated CRT-RP will blow the doors off most other displays just like a set of 1Cs will blow the doors off most modern speakers.

2200 miles :eek:. Hope you got a good deal.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited December 2008
    Options
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    2200 miles :eek:. Hope you got a good deal.

Well, they were not free, gas cost more than the 1Cs, got to see my brother, love road trips to clear the head so I would say it was a good deal for me.

They are Studios but other people who have seen the pics (Its been a productive day thread) say they are different from other Studios so they may be rare or hybrids.

As for sound, yes they were a good deal.

All and all a priceless experience so far.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • talon300
    Options
    After 36 years, I still love my SRS and 1C’s! Originally powered by a pair of Denon POA2200’s, I lost one of the amps. Picked up a like new DenonAVR-X4300H. Has all the new stuff AND pre outs! So I can use the POA for the SRS’s. They still ROCK even without a super whamadyne amp!
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,477
    Options
    I enjoyed the Denon POA2200 with all 3 preamps for a few years. I upgraded to Parasound with great results. But I sure miss that Denon gear.
    Randy/Maine
  • Hansvelton
    Options
    Judging by your post, are you simply WANTING something different, or have issues with what you have now? Or merely wanting affirmation.... :)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    Hansvelton wrote: »
    Judging by your post, are you simply WANTING something different, or have issues with what you have now? Or merely wanting affirmation.... :)

You know the original post is from 2008, right?

I’m hoping the OP isn’t still on the fence.....

I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,082
    Options
    I worked retail 7 years... There are people who could stay on the fence that long, don't worry
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Hansvelton
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    Hansvelton wrote: »

You know the original post is from 2008, right?

I’m hoping the OP isn’t still on the fence.....

:(:(:( .......now you tell me..???....lol