Source for Blu-ray Movies?; SyFy's Haven, Season 4

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,430
edited October 2021 in Music & Movies
Hey guys,

you movie collecting guys know any good, or secret, places to get difficult to find Blu-rays?

I'm trying to find SyFy's Haven, Season 4, or Fourth Season as it's labeled. Can't turn that thing up anywhere. Thought I found it on Amazon CA, but it went unavailable when I added it to the cart.

No dice on eBay, either.

I picked up the DVD box set a while back, but the quality's horrendous. Missed my return window, unfortunately, since I didn't check it out right away. That'll larn me.
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    I don't have a source but I have noticed a lot of series are not even made available on Blu Ray these days. Just DVD. Or they go to streaming only. So, if something's not readily available on Blu Ray because the studio limited production I'll just get buy it on Amazon or Vudu. I'm not buying into all the separate subscription services.

Blu Ray is definitely better quality than streaming, but the market is what it is.
  • msg
    Options
    I noticed that, too. A lot of these older shows I like were only released on DVD sets.

Yeah, I originally considered just buying the series on Amazon. It's convenient, and whatever quality it is, I'm satisfied with it. It was pretty expensive, though. There are a few I found to be unavailable for reasonable streaming that made it more cost effective to buy in Blu-ray sets and save to Plex.

I'm seeing it available in set of Seasons 1-3, and then separates for everything but season 4. It's weird. Looking to be very limited. I've got a saved search set for Ebay for now.

Might just have to settle for buying the single season on Amazon. I haven't used Vudu before, so I'll have a look at that, as well.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Emlyn
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Vudu was started by WalMart, they sold it to Fandango, and then they sold it to NBCUniversal. I've been using their service for years but mostly because I redeem the digital versions of movies and TV shows that are included with Blu Rays there. I think their service quality and reliability got significantly better when NBC took over the operation. Prices are often the same on Amazon and Vudu but not always. Vudu only recently became usable on Amazon Fire products but was available before on smart TVs and I think through Roku devices.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    I remember that show. The ending was pretty decent, some of it unpredictable which was nice...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • msg
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Yeah, there were a few shows streaming on Netflix several years ago that I didn't realize were SyFy programs. Haven was one of those cool "getaway" shows I always liked. I thought the cast got better at playing off each other as the seasons went on.

I remember back when "Siffee" was actually The Sci-Fi Channel. A bunch of people got bent out of shape at the attempt to be clever.

I'm planning to pull a handful of shows together for Plex. Eureka, Haven, Warehouse 13...

I never watched the new Battlestar, so I'd like to check that out, too.

I thought Defiance was pretty good.

On the bingeable comedy side, I had to pick up Psych.

Vudu is available on Roku, so I used that to get the Haven Season 4 for now, until, and if, I ever find it on Blu-ray.
    I disabled signatures.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    Another I got into was Helix. Definitely a weird show that didn't make a ton of sense and had a, sort of, horrible ending. It was fun to watch though...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Yeah, there were a few shows streaming on Netflix several years ago that I didn't realize were SyFy programs. Haven was one of those cool "getaway" shows I always liked. I thought the cast got better at playing off each other as the seasons went on.

I remember back when "Siffee" was actually The Sci-Fi Channel. A bunch of people got bent out of shape at the attempt to be clever.

I'm planning to pull a handful of shows together for Plex. Eureka, Haven, Warehouse 13...

I never watched the new Battlestar, so I'd like to check that out, too.

I thought Defiance was pretty good.

On the bingeable comedy side, I had to pick up Psych.

Vudu is available on Roku, so I used that to get the Haven Season 4 for now, until, and if, I ever find it on Blu-ray.

The new battlestar was start to finish one of of the best sci-fi series this millennium imho...but granted, I haven't seen a ton. I haven't seen Eureka or Defiance, since Eureka is free on amazon prime I might check it out...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Emlyn
    Options
    The show "The Expanse" started its first three seasons on SyFy, but then became an Amazon series through Season 6. I liked that well enough to purchase the Blu Ray versions even though I have Amazon Prime. Season 6 starts in early December and will be the final of the series.

The novels that serve as the basis for the show are excellent too of course. A big thing I like is that what is in the show is theoretically possible, maybe even likely to an extent, at some point in the far future.

Anyway, worth checking out. I considered it be a Game of Thrones equivalent both for the excellent books and the production quality and depth of plots.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I searched for Haven on my Roku and it's available in their Roku channel for free. Ads of course, but free to watch and they have season 5 as well, it looks like.
  • msg
    Options
    Hey Jim, great to see you! I didn't think about searching the Roku channel.

Eureka is one of my faves, Paul. It's a show I can just put on any time, and another one that got better as the seasons went on and the cast played off each other.

Not to plant any seeds, but I noticed that with several of these shows, it seemed to be difficult to end them, and they'd get a little "frantic" toward the end, or seemed rushed. Almost every series I enjoyed had that "jump the shark" business going on toward the end. In fact, I think watching one of these series' led me to research that phrase to learn what it meant to see whether it was applicable. Regardless, these shows all have plenty of meat on them to enjoy.

Dark Matter is another one I liked.
    I disabled signatures.