L100 review

Options
ALL212
ALL212 Posts: 1,556
My 2nd system went to the Yamaha CA-800 amp from tube amps (which just got moved around) and the little Blumenstein single drivers were ok...barely ok. So when the offer from Polk came up for 50% off I took a bite and picked up the L100's for about $440 shipped. List at this time is $999.

I've had RTi6's (yuck and gone a long time ago even after a crossover rebuild). I've got a pair of LSi7's that also went under the hack saw for rebuilt crossovers and I like those. So I'm not entirely new to Polk speakers.

The purchase of these was never to use as surrounds or on the main system. These were purchased specifically to fill a spot on the 2nd rig with the Yamaha CA-800 integrated amp.

01er42qk2r4z.jpg

The Blumenstein's needed some omph in the base and just a touch of treble boost so both tone controls were in use as was the "loudness" control at setting of 5. Once the L100's went into place the tone controls were immediately 0'd out and flipped out of circuit. The loudness control (the yammy loudness on this series is much different from any other loudness control) went from 5 to 2. I've tried it at 0 and the mid is just a bit much there.

These are on stands that, with the chair normally used, put the tweeters right at ear level.

The tweeters...WOWSA!! Ya, those can stay. I like an analytical sound but just to the warm side. These tweets are crystal clear. I'd say just about perfect for the speakers they are in.

On my rig, in this room the midrange is too forward with all tone controls 0'd. I've put the loudness on 2 or 3 and that dips the midrange a bit (maybe 3db) and at that setting it's very nice. Bass reaches down far enough to be very enjoyable with no boomyness at all. Just nice and smooth. I'm sure the rest of the family has more low range power but these are done well.

Imaging is also very good. I've not toed these in at all, they are just under 24" from the sound damping on the back wall and right edge to left edge is just about exactly 6'. Between speaker imaging is excellent with an occasional surprise of imaging outside of the physical plane.

I've had them apart just enough to see what the guts are and the internal structure has quite a bit of bracing. I do find it odd that at this price range Polk elected to use the cheapest possible resistors and even 1 electrolytic capacitor. Other than the single electrolytic cap the rest appear to be a film type and the inductors are standard fair and don't appear to be anything not found in any of the Polk lines. Average might be a good description of even the entire crossover. For a two way speaker there are quite a few components indicative of some compensation somewhere along the design path. 6 resistors, 5 inductors, 5 film caps and 1 electrolytic compose the crossover that is placed on the bottom just under the woofer. No shielding is done in this area at all. I did find it interesting that the internal wiring has some foam wrap around it. An odd touch...

These are well worth what I paid for them. I'm not sure I would be as happy with the price/performance if I had paid full retail.

There will come a day when the arc welder, chain saw and sledge hammer will come out and some serious work on that crossover will be done.

Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    The foam around the chassis wire is used to help dampen vibrations. It's an excellent idea.

I found the L100 lacking, the L200 has a fuller and therefore better sound.

Those "film" caps are mylar. A step above electrolytic, but very basic. Truth is, they and the block resistors are found in a helluva lot of speakers at much higher price points.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    Thanks for the review. The "full retail" price area is steep with competition.
    There is no doubt about it. I guess that is why the reserve line came to be...
    Have you heard the reserve line at all? I'm wondering if the tweeter and presence
    region is even better?
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • ALL212
    Options
    Never heard the reserve line.

I really do like these - listening to them now.

Bargain @ what I paid. Hard to swallow that retail price but I’m not a bookshelf guru either so my experience with others in that retail price range is nill.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I ended up hesitating and not buying a pair of the L200s with the discount.
    Think I am gonna hold out for the R200s, which have been getting extremely good press.

<FWIW>The discount prices seem about right, to me, for the value of the L200 (and, I suspect, for the others in the series -- with the possible exception of the Big Boy L800?). The "R" series price points strike me as much more realistic.</FWIW>

Thanks for taking the plunge on the L100s and sharing your impressions, @ALL212!

• ALL212
    Options
    I put a review up on the Polk site for the L100's. Polks response:

Thank you for your detailed review of our L200 speakers. We are grateful for your feedback and excited to hear about your positive experience. I am confident the midrange will settle in after the break in period.

Focus Polk...focus...
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Maybe they thought you were reviewing this L100 (also current production, but from another audio conglomerate)...

hul2mbu0ycen.png