Weird RF interference issues

So over the past 2 weeks I'm having a series of issues with my garage door opener, cable TV and cable internet. The range of the garage door remotes has dropped significantly. Sometimes standing right next to the door the remote does not work and sometimes it does. My cable internet downstream is close to a gigabit but upstream is spotty between 1 to 4 megabits when I should be getting 20 up. Occasionally it will burst up to 20. And on my cable TV I have a single channel at 309MHz that is consistently pixelated while all other channels are fine.

I've checked signal strength and SNR levels on the cable modem which are all within spec. I checked the cable TV channel that is pixellated and the signal strength is same as other channels. I had the cable tech out who checked the levels and assured me everything is checked out.

And for the garage door I've tried turning off every other circuit in the house to isolate devices that may be causing interference. No dice.

I am scratching my head as all this happened in past 2 weeks. Any suggestions?

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,255
    I had the garage door issue. Sometimes I had to get out of the car, and stand next to the door before it would open. Turned out the problem was the battery in the remote. After replacing it everything was fine.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • anonymouse
    anonymouse Posts: 2,818
    My issue is sadly not battery related... I did change that in one remote, but I'm having it with the built in remotes integrated in my SUV and Truck as well. All remotes are intermittent
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 25,721
    Is your right modem out of phase to the left?
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,405
    I would not rule out paranormal activity.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 12,283
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,163
    Have you installed any cheap LED bulbs lately? I had a similar issue with my garage door opener. It turned out to be caused by the cheap LED light bulbs that I installed to replace the incandescent bulbs. The bulbs have a little switching power supply built into the base. If it is a poor design, it can be electrically noisy and cause interference.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 107
    Anyone on your electric line could have installed something causing interference.
    For example, if a neighbor installed a noisy dimmer, it's like YOU have it in your house!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 20,999
    I had the same issues with a chamberlain garage door opener. They put new boards in it and still only one would work out of my two doors. They tried to blame all kinds of stuff, but I asked why one worked fine and the other wouldn't? Both on the same garage, both installed the same day, same opener on both. They couldn't ever answer. No neighbors to blame, no LED's nothing had changed just 8months in one quit. In the end I think one opener was affecting to other. I got fed up and bought two new openers and both worked and still work. Never had a conclusive finding.
  • anonymouse
    Thanks all. I turned off pretty much every circuit to eliminate the possibility of one of my other bulbs or devices causing interference. It could be a neighbor. And yes thus is a craftsman branded Chamberlain opener.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,255
    Sounds like you need to enclose your house in a grounded wire mesh in order to determine if the cause of the problem is external or internal. Good luck. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • skrol
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to enclose your house in a grounded wire mesh in order to determine if the cause of the problem is external or internal. Good luck. :)

Faraday cage the house
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • skrol
    Are you having any issues with lights flickering. If so it could be a power line issue that your power company can look into.

I was having high intermittent voltage issues. The secret was to say that the lights were flickering. They monitored a while, then made some adjustment to lower the voltage.
    Stan

Main 2ch:

HT:

Other stuff:
  • anonymouse
    skrol wrote: »
    Are you having any issues with lights flickering.

Thanks. Not that I have noticed. Will keep an eye out.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,682
    edited September 2021
    Have you changed out any questionable cables ? I might change them out one by one, even for a lower quality cable you might have laying around just to see. Also exchange the cable box for a new one, they should do that for free.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • anonymouse
    I am a TiVo user. My TiVo had been working flawlessly for 4 years. And it's only that channel affected... 187. Today I took the tivo upstairs and hooked it to 2 different outlets including the one I connect my modem too. No improvement. Entirely different cables.

I think I will rent an extra X1 box to see if that does better. If it does then I will try to get a new cablecard for the tivo. Last time it took me 3 tries to get a working cablecard from Comcast.
  • anonymouse
    Comcast sorted this yesterday. Something on the street side was causing all the issues. My cable modem now shows 3dB higher levels, connecting solid, cable fixed and the garage door works again. All related to cable. Amazing but if it wasn't for a diligent line tech none of this would have been resolved. The Comcast tech that came to my house a couple weeks ago was insistent that there was no issue on their side and that my modem was weird. Now let's see if I can get Comcast to remove the $100 they billed me for that unproductive service visit.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 805
    Doesn't seem like they should charge you anything at all, seeing how it was on the street side and nothing to do with your side or equipment.