HK 730 and Yamaha DSP A 1000

Options
Here are my vintage items. Languishing in the closet.
The HK 730 was part of my first system in circa 1974. That plus large Advents and a BIC turntable. Paid 374 for it and they are asking almost twice that on eBay today( some are) for units that look beat up to me.
The DSP A1000 was Yamaha’s flagship entry with Dolby Pro logic.
Haven’t checked these out in a long while but they were both working then7kpvmvxq9rxh.jpeg
upt1orwjymjk.jpeg
ilfomxsnswub.jpeg

Comments

• OnlyPolk
    Options
    I didn't know anything about what I was buying at the time, all I cared about was listening to the music. This manual told me that the people who designed and built the receiver cared about that goal. It showed pride in their accomplishments. What do you get nowadays for a manual. Something with no words, just pics, printed in font size 2, covering a whole range of models.
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Options
    I bought a Yamaha DSP A-1000 back in 1993 when I graduated from college. It was the heart of my first real system and I loved it. I also have it in a closet no longer in use. I may need to get it out and see if it still works.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    I bought a DSP A-1000 in late 1991/early 1992 with my first home theater system. In 1999, I replaced it with the Yamaha A-1, for my first Dolby Digital system.

Here's a pic circa 1992.

jj3nfo3191qa.jpg
  • guyincognito
    Options
    Man, that pic is a trip down memory lane, sitting in my parents basement watching Terminator on the Curtis Mathis 25" tube TV and matching VCR with manual tracking.
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,317
    Options
    Man, VCR is a term I haven't heard of in many, many moons...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    Man, that pic is a trip down memory lane, sitting in my parents basement watching Terminator on the Curtis Mathis 25" tube TV and matching VCR with manual tracking.

The VCR in the stack is a 1984 Sony SL-2300 Betamax machine that had manual tuning and a wired remote that only had 3 buttons (pause, backward scan, forward scan).

ku9x82s4y6xo.jpg

The VCR under the TV is a Sony S-VHS editing deck that was way too complicated for its own good. It was a $1000 hunk of stainless steel, rosewood side panels, and way too many printed circuit boards. There was even a jog/shuttle and an LCD screen on the remote control. :p

o29ufg4m32a3.jpg

mbd3tey83bmd.jpg

There's an H/K cassette deck and a Yamaha CD player hidden in there as well.
  • OnlyPolk
    Options
    I still have a small VCR tape collection, after throwing out most of what I had taped myself, that I'm debating what to do with. I bought one of the last Mitusbishi VCR's just a couple of years before the industry became obsolete. Are VCR tapes going to stage a comeback like Vinyl? (just kidding)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    Options
    The hk 730 was/is a nice piece of equipment.