Which speakers, and do I really need them?

Options
Hi all, this is my first post so please be gentle. At the moment I have the RTI a7 towers, the CS a4 centre, the 505 sub and the RC80i ceiling speakers. Because my couch has to go against the wall it means that the ceiling speakers will have to go straight above the MLA. My questions are should I aim the tweeter straight down or aim it at the back wall, and when hooking them up do I make them the surrounds or rears on the AVR. In the future I might be able to add speakers to the side walls, but they would be inline with the ceiling speakers, would that be a problem? and what speakers would you recommend and would I wire them as rears or surrounds. By the way, I live in Australia and we pay through the nose for Polk gear here. You guys don't know how lucky you are.

Cheers
Mike

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Try aiming both ways. It'll be evident which sounds best. Rears...surrounds, again try both.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Kryten
    Kryten Posts: 79
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Look at the Dolby speaker placement guide for guidance. Having your rear wall so close to your main listening position will limit your options. As F1Nut said, try each of the options. It will be time consuming running the AVR speaker calibration each time after changing the speaker assignments and playing your test music and vids, but ultimately it's up to your ears to choose what works for you and your room.

The RTi-A1 or -A3 speakers would be a match as surrounds and rears. You can use speaker stands or wall mounts to get the to ear height.
  • Aussiemike
    Options
    Thanks, I will try both options as suggested.