Command Records (Vinyl)

Options
These are very vintage records (as a record label), and in essence, demonstration records for vinyl playback systems. I've run across several of these while going through my dad's collection, and sadly, have tossed most of them. But, I decided to keep one particular set that is well-packaged, and in good condition.

This 4-record set is enclosed in a 'book' of sorts.
q7039h7xm61w.jpg
I'm not sure if there are some discs missing, but the four I have are as follows:
- Roman Guitar
- Tempestuous Trumpet (Doc Severinsen: remember him from Johnny Carson?)
- Two Pianos and Twenty Voices
- Provocative Piano [who knew?]
Here is a little snapshot of a couple of the sleeves:
o5okuv7753wp.jpg
There is also a booklet included, which kind of makes me think there are some records missing in this particular collection. Nonetheless, here is a quick pic of the Roman Guitar chapter:
92if60slis7n.jpg
As one might expect, these types of records have limited playback, so are normally in VERY good condition. I have given these a good cleaning on my Knosti Disco-Antistat RCM, and frankly, they sound quite good...for listeners with an open ear. Every track is well-recorded, and offers exceptional playback IMO.
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,508
    edited September 2021
    Options
    It can be argued that Enoch Light's Command label was one of the first audiophile record labels. It started in the late '50's and was aimed at the "HiFi Nuts" as sound enthusiasts were called in those days. The company pioneered the use of 35mm magnetic tape as the recording medium instead of a more usual type of tape recorder. Since the 35mm tape had sprockets on one edge the problem of wow and flutter was reduced and the extra width allowed multitrack recording, the sound was quite spectacular for its era. I think it was the first record label I heard that sounded better than others and started me looking for more.
    Sounds like your dad was a keen listener (Doc Severinson is still going strong in his '90's).
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    To your point:
    cmhfsfuqfyrr.jpg
    pzs0sf81s3rh.jpg

"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    My father was likewise a big fan. I have his albums, plus a few more I've acquired over the years.
    Those of the early stereo era are gimmicky, but the sound's good.
    The cover art was pretty avant garde for its time, as well.

qmivbqslpz6q.png
    Four of the Josef Albers covers from the golden era of Command :)

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,335
    Options
    Interesting. I believe I have the first set Jody posted and I know I have volume 3 on the above post. I'll have to give them a spin once I'm done with construction on the rig.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    My dad did more collecting than listening. We've gone through literally thousands of records, cassettes, CDs, and also 8-track and open-reel tapes. A few thousand records alone, of mostly gospel quartet, gospel family, gospel solo, big-band, comedy, and eeeezy listening box sets...LOTS of box sets. We've found a decent amount of rock/pop, and interesting things like these Command records...and probably a dozen or so test/setup records.

He had setups in the living room and his bedroom to play every type of media, but the only thing he really listened to was the local FM oldies station on his black-face Yammy and Onkyo gear. There were several vintage thrift-store-find Sansui and Marantz receivers stacked in his downstairs garage (even a MAC1700 receiver), but he never tried any of them to my knowledge. I've shared many pics of the treasure trove with you guys.