Old Polk speaker designs

BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
Looking at the old Polk speakers for sale there are a few different designs with lots of tweeters and mid-ranges in the cabinet. Are there any current manufacturers using that design? Other than Polk, did anybody else use that design? Is there any literature explaining the superiority, or weakness, of that design?

From an ad.

htp4wk3la9tc.jpeg
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    yuwwodi6f6d6.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    Nightfall wrote: »
    yuwwodi6f6d6.jpg

LOL. Good point. I have seen their ad before, but never read a review, or an owners opinion, of them. If I remember correctly, they are relatively inexpensive.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I've heard them and the smaller double impact. They sounded good. I'm not sure of the distribution of sound going to each tweeter. On Polk's the tweeter array is called a progressive point source. They are not all playing as loudly, one tweeter is full on and the others are at different frequencies.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Looking at the old Polk speakers for sale there are a few different designs with lots of tweeters and mid-ranges in the cabinet. Are there any current manufacturers using that design? Other than Polk, did anybody else use that design? Is there any literature explaining the superiority, or weakness, of that design?

From an ad.

htp4wk3la9tc.jpeg

You don't get what SDA speakers are, do you!?!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    I had a pair of SDA-2B, so I know what they are. That doesn’t answer the question.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I had a pair of SDA-2B, so I know what they are. That doesn’t answer the question.

Ok, if you're asking if any other speaker manufacturer utilizes the SDA design/technology the answer is no.

Polk published a bunch of white papers explaining the superiority of the design/technology.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2021
    Nightfall wrote: »
    yuwwodi6f6d6.jpg

LOL. Good point. I have seen their ad before, but never read a review, or an owners opinion, of them. If I remember correctly, they are relatively inexpensive.

On a per-tweeter basis, heck yes. Bargains.
    B)

In seriousness (well... sort of): perhaps (perhaps) the tweeters are wired in a Bessel Array(?). I am speculating wildly here.
    https://www.angelfire.com/sd/paulkemble/soundf.html
    https://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/35495-bessel-tweeter-array

2t8oicnyp3kd.png