Polk ls70 buying advice

Hello!

I am a total beginner in audiophile systems. Have found this offer https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/275446314160634/ approx 175 dollars. The woofer is repaired. Would this be a good buy? My living room is approx: 4x4m. Could you also recommend cables and a reasonably affordable amp or receiver?

Answers

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    It's not a bad buy if they work correctly. Can of worms seem to be the way of older speakers .
    A nice set of Audioquest Type 4 or 5's would work great.
    If 2 channel is your game then a nice Rotel or NAD Stereo receiver would be a very nice way to grow into a nice system.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited April 2021
    The LS70 is kinda the black sheep of the family. Others report the 50s and 90s sound better. Is that $175 usd? I see from the link, the speakers appear to be in Sweden.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    DaveHo wrote: »
    The LS70 is kinda the black sheep of the family. Others report the 50s and 90s sound better. Is that $175 usd? I see from the link, the speakers appear to be in Sweden.

That's been my experience. The 70s are a bit flabby in the midrange. The 7.5" drivers aren't as smooth as the 6.5s in the 50s and 90s.
  • I recently picked up my 2nd pair of LS70s (w/o ever hearing the 50s or 90s). Seems like I may need to do some A/B comparisons as I always thought they performed well. Also, this might be a part of my audio journey has my listening experience grows. Can't say I've ever heard of (or identified) "flabby midrange". Hmmm.
    edubb46