AV Receiver and Processor Supply Down Prices Up

Options
Emlyn
Emlyn Posts: 4,372
May not be the best time to buy a new receiver or AV processor. I just noticed today that Marantz prices were increased by $500 recently. For example, the SR8015 increased to $3799. The prices were already about 10 percent higher than the previous year's models. I thought prices increased slightly earlier this year because of a chip shortage but a $500 increase strikes me as price gouging. Same thing with the AV7706 processor. Many retailers seem to be having a hard time getting supplies though so the new pricing may not matter that much if people can't find them to purchase. :D

https://www.marantz.com/en-us/product/av-receivers/sr8015

Yamaha is coming out with a new line of receivers in the next couple months that look impressive, and their processor is still available. And Rotel pricing may be appealing too now.

Comments

• smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Polk recently (this week) raised the prices on the Reserve line as well...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Price on all commodities are up and some as much as 89% YOY. Its not just computer chips for the consumer chip market is not affected that much by the shortages.

This includes, steel (cold and hot rolled) copper, zinc, aluminum, plastic resins. Not to mention transportation costs which are up some 30%. Then you have employee raises and benefits and other costs that influence the final product price.

And it’s not price gouging when it is something that is not a necessity.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Prices are up everywhere. Shipping alone has skyrocketed for every sector.

If you think Marantz prices have increased too much, go try and buy a good bike right now…
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    Shipping costs are beyond ridiculous!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Shipping costs are beyond ridiculous!!!

Some sectors are taking to air freight because container costs are too high and too unpredictable right now.

I’m talking about decently heavy equipment (HVAC), not stuff that’s usually easy enough to fly.

Then once it’s here, enjoy waiting for customs to release it…