Center Channel vs bookshelf as a center

Options
Has anyone tried using a Lsim 703 as a center channel? How would it compare to the Lsim 704c or the 706c?

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited August 2021
    Options
    It'll work for certain purposes but a dedicated center channel speaker is better for most applications.

One of the original purposes for surround sound was for music and it was recommended that all 5 speakers be the same for optimum sound with multichannel SACD or DVD-Audio. That's impractical for most people who have home theater systems with a TV. It also doesn't work as well for movies where most of the sound for dialogue is centered in the center speaker that needs to have width to better blend seamlessly with the main front speakers.

If I didn't have a center channel speaker that's designed to perform as one I'd be fine with an LSiM 703, but wouldn't want to keep the system that way. I've seen bookshelf speakers tilted on the side to serve as a center speaker, but the drivers aren't really oriented to serve that purpose. Some may be happy with it, but in my experiments it just didn't work well.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I've never used the 703 as a center but I've had both the 703's and 706c.

What main speakers are you using? The 703 could work as vertical speakers work well however, the 706c at $399 on closeout is a much better center. I would use the 706 over the 703. However, if you have 705, or 707 towers and wanted to use an identical tower, then I would go with a tower over the 706c.

Here is some great info to keep in mind regarding center channel speakers.

• A center channel that is identical to your main speakers is going to be the best possible scenario.
    • A vertical speaker will have a better horizontal response than a lesser MTM type center channel.
    • A 3-way horizontal center channel solves many of the issues that 2-way MTM centers have.
    • A speaker with multiple woofers will have more headroom and play louder.

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/center-channel-speaker

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/center-channel-designs
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • shs
    shs Posts: 105
    Options
    I am using a 703 as my center channel and its tweeter and midrange are at the same height as the tweeter and midrange on my left and right 705s. While 3 identical vertical speakers are the ideal, 3 speakers with the same tweeters and midrange, all vertical and at the same height come very close to that ideal.

The "width" of the horizontal center channel speakers causes "beaming" and limits the horizontal dispersion of the sound from that speaker, thus compromising the frequency responses for anyone sitting other than in the middle of the room. It makes it hard for the 3 front speakers to blend together to form a seamless sound field, when one has a different off-axis response. The only advantage of the horizontal center channel speakers is that they often fit better in a cabinet or under a TV, or the WAF. No other speaker in a home theater is horizontal and there is a good reason for that. The physics of sound are the same for all speakers and the center channel is no different.
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
  • Coralinus
    Options
    Right now I have 705 towers, 703 surrounds and 704c center. Its a nice set up but the room is large with several seating positions off axis. We have twelve people living here currently and so its hard for everyone to sit on axis. I just keep wondering if it could be better with a change to either to a 703 (as I have room vertically), or if a 706c would be a good choice with the two 6.5" drivers. I probably don't have room for another tower.
  • shs
    edited August 2021
    Options
    The two drivers in a horizontal center channel help with bass response, but if you are using a subwoofer, then that may not be necessary. Having 2 woofers, however makes things worse for off axis response as they cause beaming or narrowing of the off axis response and at various positions in the room they either reinforce or interfere with each other (combing).

My 703 works well as a center channel and has no problem playing at fairly high levels as my subwoofers handle the low bass. While I could have simply used 3 703s up front, I liked the 705 towers rather than 703s on stands for the left and right. Since, in my setup, the tweeters and midrange drivers are all at the same level, AND subwoofers handle the deep base, this setup is just as good as 3 towers.
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
  • TopperMan
    Options
    actually its ideal to have the same speaker for Front Left / Center / Right but not many people can make that work in their room. If you can, definitely go for it :)
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Coralinus wrote: »
    Right now I have 705 towers, 703 surrounds and 704c center. Its a nice set up but the room is large with several seating positions off axis. We have twelve people living here currently and so its hard for everyone to sit on axis. I just keep wondering if it could be better with a change to either to a 703 (as I have room vertically), or if a 706c would be a good choice with the two 6.5" drivers. I probably don't have room for another tower.

As you can see from the link I posted, even the $2500 horizontal W(T/M)W center had better smoothness of its horizontal frequency response when measured in a vertical position.

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs/conclusion-rankings-and-evaluation.html

x95ai490gxnb.png

So, the 703 could work just fine but you give up some dynamic range to the dual woofer center channel designs and towers. Either a 705 tower or 706c mounted vertical would be the best option. LOL!. Not always practical for all but possible for some.

img_4033-jpg.2341122

img_1463-jpg.2341124

While it's nice to talk about the theory, you already have the 703's. Just temporarily run one as a center and see how you like it compared to the 704c. There you go!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • shs
    Options
    Three towers obviously the ideal, but my tower/bookshelf hybrid approach with all the tweeters and midranges at the same level gets most of the way there, except as you say, for some bass dynamic range. That said, my 703 as a center crossed over at 80 Hz seems to do just fine in that respect. Not all bookshelf speakers will do as well, no doubt.x0nvvtnigdke.jpg