Polk Audio RTi A7 bass very low, bad imaging

Options
Hi there! I just bought the Polk Audio RTi A7 yesterday and connected them to my Yamaha RX-V675 bi-amping. I bought these speaker after lots of auditions and considering the price I got them for, was in my budget.
Now, I unpacked them, connected them and started to play music on them...The imaging is lifeless...bass is almost nothing compared to my sub sat system I had earlier (JVC satellite and Jamo 250 sub). Am I doing some thing wrong? In the amp, it is set as Large speakers. At the speaker shop, they really sounded good! Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,510
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I would recommend connecting them without the bi-amping arrangement. Simply reconnect the binding post jumper plates and run your speaker wire to either the upper or lower set of binding posts. Make sure you are connecting the positive of the receiver to the positive of the speakers and negative to negative on both speakers.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Welcome! In my opinion, if you want to play with a receiver, you need a better, beefier one than that. I have plenty of experience with RTi speakers and Yamaha receivers, and I never got them to sound good with Yamaha's V-series AVRs. The A-series AVENTAGE AVRs are a cut above, particularly at the higher end of the price range. Separate amplification will do wonders for those speakers, but unfortunately that's not an option with the V675.
  • TopperMan
    Options
    disengage bi-amping and try connecting them normally first (just to try things out).

From your description, sounds like you may be connected out of phase (which is **** your imaging and bass). Double-check all the speaker cable connections to ensure correct polarities both behind the amp and behind the speakers and try it again. Once you resolve this, then you can try out that bi-amping.
  • vikasjsheth
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys for your help! TopperMan, you are correct. My Subwoofer was in wrong phase, also I guess the speaker had to used for some time to get great sound. I literally disconnected the subwoofer and the speakers are working in full glory...I think...the bass is adequate, but there is no punch (but can be heard)...or feel of the bass as advertised for the power port. Secondly, the mid bass around 60Hz to 75Hz is over emphasised. Do you also face this issue? Any idea how to solve this?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    Using an AVR for 2 channel music will never result in the best sound out of your speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vikasjsheth
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Using an AVR for 2 channel music will never result in the best sound out of your speakers.

I agree, but I don't intend to change the AVR for now. Would parametric equalizer work?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Check the settings in your AVR, start with 2 channel mode and see if you like the sound better. For HT, if a subwoofer is involved, read the manual as the variations in settings become a bit more complicated. Also, make sure your connections are good, and speaker cables of decent quality. What is the source your using for music ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I agree, but I don't intend to change the AVR for now. Would parametric equalizer work?

Did you run the calibration program yet?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk