Choosing a Receiver for Signature Series

Options
Hello there. I’ve got a S35 center speaker and two S55 towers as my front left and right. I’ll be adding the S15 for the rear surround to complete a 5. Surround. I’m also using an Atlantic Technology SB 212 sub for bass. I am new to the receiver and speaker set-up. Previously just a sound bar. I need help deciding what kind of receiver that would best power my speakers as well as what features to look for that bring out the best sound. This will be an everyday use set-up used for movies, sports, gaming, music, and everyday TV. I’m trying not to break the bank. I’ve been looking at slightly used receivers or open box to stretch my dollar. I’ve been looking in the $400 range. Thanks for any input and your time.

Best Answers

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The main reason to get a brand new receiver is to keep up with video processing technology. Audio hasn't really changed much for several years now. Money would certainly go further with a used receiver that may be two or three generations back if you don't need the latest HDMI connections. If you are going to use a PS5 or another video device with above 4K in the next couple years you would most likely want a newer receiver.

Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, and Pioneer are all good brands to consider. Even Sony's still in the game.
    Denon receivers are voiced to be more dynamic sounding than Marantz and Marantz more tuned for smooth music listening. With $400 I'd probably looking for something factory refurbished from the 2018 to 2019 model years.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I run my sigs with a couple year old pioneer sc1222, basically a rebadged elite sc63. The ice amps do a fine job with the sig series. I don't feel the need for external amps, especially crossing the speakers at 80hz and letting my SVS do the heavy lifting on the low end.