Horn tweeters on 10B speakers

Options
I grabbed a nice set of 10B's recently. They have an outstanding sound. They're actually better than I expected. They have SL1000 tweeters and I am considering replacing them and sprucing up the crossovers.

Now, I listen to mostly jazz and classical. I know how good those sound on horn tweeters, especially classical. Would this work or is it just not going to match?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    If you want a horn tweeter go buy Klipsch.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    Options
    mcphatty00 wrote: »
    I grabbed a nice set of 10B's recently. They have an outstanding sound. They're actually better than I expected. They have SL1000 tweeters and I am considering replacing them and sprucing up the crossovers.

Now, I listen to mostly jazz and classical. I know how good those sound on horn tweeters, especially classical. Would this work or is it just not going to match?

Yeah, no.
    Just... don't.

Much of the Monitor 7 and Monitor10's "magic" lies in those dome tweeters (especially the Peerless silk domes used in earlier iterations). Some very early 10Bs used the Peerless domes, apparently.

You want a horn tweeter; look elsewhere. There have been plenty over the years.
    Personally, I am partial to big Altecs, but JBL & Klipsch were - and still are - players.

50969155968_02b131f979_b.jpgDSC_0870 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    (that's an Altec Santiago on the right, sans grille)